Playing in the morning/evening

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I get much that same effect when I eat cucumbers marinated in apple vinegar and then attempt to play.

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Hmm, something weird came up today.

A few months ago I went to some sort of breath clinic. The person who gave the clinic told that said product affected your playing straight away. At this instant I was getting angry because of the fact that it wasn't really a breath clinic but just some kind of advertisement and a simple powerpoint about the basic principles of breath.

BUT, when some people volunteered and played something before and after they used said product the difference in tone was astonishing.
    My dad, who isn't a brass player but a flute player bought the product and kind of liked it.

If that product is used properly you have to "breath the correct way", like the Circle of Breath (Rowuk, correct me if I'm wrong), else it won't work.

So today I used the device after -I was warmed up and noticed "my problem"-, and the difference was huge.
    Now I know that my problem is related to the way I breath, for some reason my breath seems to be messed up after work...

I will start to use the device daily and see what it does to my "playing after work" problem, I'll report back later

(This is how the device looks)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This looks very much like the incentive spirometers we use for patients after surgery. This recruits terminal (at the ends - non death) airways. I am not sure this is going to add much to the pressure support you need for trumpet playing but more to optimize oxygenation by keeping terminal airways open. The trumpet in and of itself is EXCELLENT at keeping terminal airways open. If I had control of the post-0p area, I would have the hospital give trumpets out to all post-surgical patients.

Hmm.. Trent Austin... Interested in being the supplier?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My suggestion for breathing is to breath in when wanting air, and breath out when needing to get rid of it. Somebody said it: When I feel blue, I start breathing again. Now that's the best advice anyone can give you!

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Try this....

Keep a mouthpiece in your car and when driving to work, buzz until you get to work.

When driving home repeat the same exercise.

Practice your horn as usual and I think you will have less problems.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...AND this will certainly keep you more awake and alert at the wheel. I can see the Public Service Announcements now:

Stay Alive and
    Buzz as you Drive!