Playing in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by addyp524, Aug 31, 2010.

1. addyp524

addyp524 New Friend

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi,

I've found that generally my playing in the morning is nowhere near as easy as playing in the afternoon / evening. I've heard that your lips swell in overnight, making it harder to play early in the morning.

Has anyone here experienced the same problem? What have you done to overcome it? Any particular warm-ups you would do to compensate?

Thanks

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you make a habit of playing in the morning, these feelings will go away.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think getting up as early as possible will help a good deal. Rollong out of bed and going right to a gig isn't the best idea. You're correct that it takes a little while for your body to wake up and the puffiness from overnight sleep to go away.

Beyond that, the warm-up routine I took from Roger Ingram works pretty well to wake my chops up and get them ready for playing. Essentially it starts with loose lip-flapping, then free-buzzing, then mouthpiece buzzing, then playing into the horn. It's only about a 5 - 10 minute routine, but it gets me pretty much gig-ready.

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I go jogging around 6 am and it is no where near as good as in the afternoon. After I drop my kids off at work at about 7:30 am and have finish my coffee, I then free buzz london bridges several times; each time starting a bit higher or lower. In between that I will lip flap. Then, I will try some double and triple tonguing patterns. I do this all in the car on the way home. That is my first practice session of the day, which is about 15 to 20 minutes or so. All this serves as a warm up for my other sessions later in the day.

David.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I must be doing something wrong.

I get out of bed and am ready to go....I play the same in the morning as any other time.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Then you're DEFINITELY doing something wrong!!!

Even in college I had challenges rolling right out of bed and going to rehearsals with our symphonic band. On those days I would actually force myself to wake up a whole hour early to let my face wake up.

There were guys like you Chuck who would literally walk into rehearsal wiping the sleep out of their eyes and blow everything perfectly, but alas, I was not one of them...

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are creatures of habit. The body is incredibly resilient but needs to be trained. You can all do it with preparation!

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    A little extra water in the morning won't hurt. You've not been drinking all night while you're asleep, after all, so you've lost a lot of water.

Tom

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hmmm - is that why my wife make me wash the sheets every day?

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nooooo, probably not. :shhh: