Playing in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by addyp524, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Morning is same exact as afternoon. Jogging in the morning is easier than afternoon.

I play most the time in afternoon.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think it depends on the definition of morning. Mine is 6am, my cousin Richard's "morning" used to be around 2 in the afternoon. Morning it really tough for a singer, takes a while to get chords to wake up, but after bit of lip flapping (the horse neighing sound) and buzzing, I can get a credible sound from the trumpet (no matter what my neighbors say!:roll:).

Turtle

3. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    I'm weird- I find that I don't play as well if I sleep in late. I'm in high school, and I have jazz band at 7:00 in the morning, and I never need more than a few minutes of warmup time on school days. I don't know... I also find that if I don't stay up late practicing (which I usually do, but not always), I don't play as well in the morning.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    It's mostly a mental process, not a physical one. Barbara Butler was big on not needing to warm up. 30 seconds and go. In my first lesson with her she said, someday you're going to get off a bus at 8:58 in the morning and have to play at 9:00, and if you need a 45 minute warm up you're screwed. Although the language was a little saltier. If you're in shape, if you're playing every day, if you have good fundamentals and play without strain, any time is the right time.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Barbara has it right! Many mornings I have emerged from the subway, run to the studio and made it just before the downbeat. No warmup? No problem:D
    Wilmer