Playing "In the Red" With Big Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, May 18, 2012.

1. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm a junior in high school and recently I have had a professional trumpet player (Dr.Tim Zachary, idk If you guys know him, he's played all around the world and he is currently the high brass instructor for Norfolk State University) say that I play in the red or in the inner part of my upper lip and that it would hinder my abilities in the future. Another problem is I have really robust chops and I would like to know what I would have to do to correct this problem and how long will it take for me to get back to normal because I have college auditions around this time next year and hoping i would be back to normal again.. Currently my range is at D above staff and on some days I can get up to a E or even an F and my tone quality is pretty decent. The only problems I have is my endurance which is anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on if I'm in marching band or concert band and my tonguing is somewhat sloppy and muddy lastly I do get an airy tone from time to time and Dr.Zach said it was because of the way I play.. I play on a Schilke 15C4 for Jazz and symphic band and Bach 3C for marching band. My horn is a Getzen 700SP

2. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Are you taking lessons from him? If not see if he will take you on. Or if he can recommend a good teacher for you. Normally you don't mess around with lip placement. Unless your upper lip is in the red. That is very bad. And you will have problems with everything that he told you about. Bottom lip in the red is ok. Top lip is bad. Get with a good teacher(who knows what they are doing) to help you. Forum is not the place to fix this problem. Don't be afraid to move the mouthpiece up to get out of the red. You will suffer with playing at first. But will get better over time and the end result will be better than you thought of.

Again get with a good trumpet teacher who knows what they are doing. To see you in person and get the correct fit for you. This is IMPERITIVE.

patkins likes this.
  3. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    Yes he stated that i play in the red of my upper lip, I don't know if I'll have the money for lessons , but I do recall him saying I have to "roll" my upper lip in and get used to playing with the outtermost part of my lip.

4. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Yup, but you really need a teacher to show you exactly how. I understand the funds issue. But most teachers will help you out. Especially if they see the desire you have playing trumpet. When I was in high school I didn't have money for lessons, so I worked out a deal by mowing my teachers lawn. But it all depends on how dedicated you are. Also just if your able to afford just 1 lesson that 1 lesson will show you what your doing and then how to fix what your doing. Even though its just one lesson you'll learn the correct way for you to set up your mouth. Much better compared to guessing.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Bach37, so this is how you made the cut to get on his schedule! Great idea!!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So far, I don't see a problem with what you posted. How is your tone? How is your control? How advanced is you technique?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, I don't understand this to be a problem. Louis Armstrong had robust chops and that did not hold him back... Did in now?

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I 100% agree, why change? Do your lips work now? Have you had any problems? Why change something if it is not broken?

9. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Playing in the red on the upper lip is bad. That needs to be fixed. Just leads to problems.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Get a deeper cup for those flabby lips :)