Playing "In the Red" With Big Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, May 18, 2012.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Please read this post carefully!

coolerdave likes this.
  2. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for posting. He IS my favorite (next to you of course). I would give anything to have a "sound" like his.

In relation to your comment "chops like these" is this in relation to robust lips or playing in the red, as I was unaware the Lee had a problem with playing in the red? Thanks for the clarification.

4. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Lee rolled his lips, as did many players of color. I played duets with Lee when we were youngsters in Philly. He did not play on the red.

5. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Lee does appear to have been a "low placement type" embouchure. In this particular photograph it does look like he placed on the red of his upper lip at that particular moment, at least.

[​IMG]

Bah, I don't know if this image is going to display properly. Here's a direct link:

http://www.wilktone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Lee-Morgan-The-Gigolo-509066.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For the poster, here's a link to John Storks website. He has been making mouthpieces for 35+ years (Giardinelli (the old good ones) and his own brand). I will not even attempt to wade into the pedagogical aspects of this thread. I used this when I started playing again after after a 25+ year hiatus.

New Page 1

William Vachiano had a hope and desire that one day, teachers would have the knowledge and information to "size" a player to a better working mpc.. Obviously we aren't very close to that when the thread devolved into flamethrowing (so it seemed) and mpc size is irrelevant. My take, your mpc may simply be too small for your lips. I am with the wiseone on not playing in the red.
    John Stork has attempted to put information together to help the the uninformed novice make a critical decision regarding mpc selection. Much of what is posted so far seems to be "my way is better than you way". While my info is purely anecdotal, it worked for me and I am happy.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats a nice shot of Lee playing! But as you said, that's just at that moment. On occasion I've placed my horn in a different location, but I always go back to my regular set-up.

8. wilktone

wilktone New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Many players do, but that seems to be pretty much where Morgan placed the mouthpiece while playing. Again, at least at the time this video was filmed. I don't know how he played before he was filmed.

Lee Morgan with John Gilmore "Theme For Stacy" - YouTube

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a nice video. I've looked at a couple others and he definitely plays with very little top lip, but it does look like he rolled them in.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    just in case anyone glossed over this