Playing in the upper register.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cirro, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cirro

cirro New Friend

Aug 7, 2011
    I manage to play the G above the 3c. What`s the secret to climb to the 4c:play:

Cirro
    Norway

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    post video and we can help

The answer to almost any high note thread is this:

1. Practice more and build a solid foundation.
    2. Relax. Tension and constriction reduces airflow
    3. Less Pressure. Too much pressure eventually kills the buzz.
    4. Use more air... and use it faster. Think how a welder adjusts the knobs on his torch from a big loose yellow flame to an intense powerful blue flame.
    5. Play softer. If you have to play loud to make your high notes it is to overcome the pressure stopping the vibration of the lips. Louder keeps them going... up to a point, then nothing keeps them buzzing. When you can play a High-G (4th ledger line) at mp then you are on the right track.

No one is going to hire you because you can play a double-C or higher. They are only going to hire you if you are nails from High-G on down. And you can read... and you can improv on the changes in a tasteful and stylistically correct way.... then also play a section part without overblowing the lead player.

That's the stuff you need to practice.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    bumblebee likes this.
  3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Thanks for the above recommendations jiarby. It is very helpful.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no secret.

Playing high should start with a solid foundation - good breathing and relaxed approach. Then a good reason to play high comes along and we invest more time in slurs, longtones and STYLE. We want to be able to play those tones so that they sound like they belong with the rest of the group.

Adding an octave can take a year or two IF the foundation is good. If not, a lifetime may be needed.

To be honest, I am happy that high notes are not free. Noise pollution is a nasty thing.......

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I agree with Rowuk on that one [as I do on most of his posts], have you ever been to any place where there are multiple trumpet players trying out horns ??? it seems like everyone is trying to play higher and louder then the next guy.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I too will jump on the "it takes time/good fundamentals" bandwagon. I know personally players that "wail" away above high C, but can't play a 4 bar legato phrase to save their lives. If you want to play to DHC, then practice. If you want to "wail away", go buy gimmicky mouthpieces until you deplete your bank account! :lol::lol:

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    And if I may paraphrase MF, you do not want to work on increasing the upper end of your range. What you really want to do is increase the center of your range. My teacher drew a target on a sheet of paper, then put a G in the middle, working out to a high C on the last (outer-most) ring of the target (G-A-B-C). He then stated that to make the high C sound better, you actually wanted to work on the G. This way you build from the center and increase both ends of the spectrum.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think that (working on the G) is the premise of Cat Anderson's methodology, correct?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    While I agree that the middle is the core, the problem is if you are not taking lessons from a teacher that plays well in the high register, working on the G will not help your range. That is not an effective DIY way to the upper register.

Look at it this way: how do we describe red to a colorblind person? It is about the same process for explaining high range to someone that does not already have a solid routine designed to stretch the players musical and technical capabilities.

Questions like "I have high C, what do I do for double C" really make my delete finger itch. Even more itchy is the post a week later how everything is a lot better since the member started slurring or longtoning or so..................... The mere question tells me everything that I need to know about the player!