Playing in unison with ameteur singers and staying in tune?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Jan 4, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Cool, I'll try and get more keyboard out of my monitor. Standing closely won't help, as the keyboard is plugged directly into the room's sound system.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I hope this is a paying job. Is it really worth all of the headache? If you are doing it for exposure to your playing in order to get other jobs I understand.

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Despite the problems it's still fun. I don't ever expect to get any paying gigs. My plans consist of church and community bands. If I end up good enough to get pay gigs that would be great; but that's so far down the road that I shouldn't waste time worrying about it at this point.

4. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    The only I can say is... GOOD LUCK !!!
    Wear caps and play.
    BEST WISHES !!!

5. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I wasnt trying to imply they could not be taught. I hope I did not come across that way. I have just found the folks, in general, involved in church music have already completed what ever of instruction they intent or desire to recieve. The perform at church, or at least I sing at church, in an effort to use the talent God gave me. I have never seen someone go out and activley seek lessons, or to improve to sound better at church. It usually is what it is.

I know there are always exceptions to my thinking. But just my very humble opinion....

6. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    I do most of my playing in church, and have for a number of years now and I continually have this problem. My comments:

A. As so many others have said, go with the keyboard. Even if the keyboard is less experienced than you, that is the instrument you need to follow.

B. Be flexible. If you have to adapt to the singer's rythm, who cares as long as it sounds good? (quick note: the keyboard had better be adapting too. If not...see comment A)

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    A question per your being out of tune with the singers and other members of the ensemble, are you transposing from Bb to concert pitch? A C played on a Bb trumpet is actually a Bb when played on the keyboard or most string instruments. This means that if you are playing the notes as written, it is you who is out of tune.

I do a good bit of church work and always have to transpose to match the piano and/or, the organ.

OLDLOU>>

8. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    good question Old Lou, I just figured he was already doing that

9. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

I believe He is less picky of quality than intent.

As you stated, you try to give back some of what God provided you in talent, capability, effort, etc.

Appreciate in that setting that you all wish to achieve a similar goals: give unto the Lord, inspire others, enhance the spiritual experience. Be as charitable unto them as a forgiving God might be unto us and you will not likely ruffle feathers.

10. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey

I am sorrowed to see that one would want to pursue personal glory or gain from performing in such a setting. I am at a loss for kind or appropriate words at this juncture, to the person who posted this particular reply.