Playing in unison with ameteur singers and staying in tune?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Jan 4, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    lol I'm not *that* out of tune. And I do have a C trumpet that I just picked up last week. Prior to that I was transposing to concert pitch.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A tuner is of no help. You need to practice tunes, tunes and more tunes until your intonation is invincible! Grab a hymnbook and play it for 30-40 minutes per day. You will start getting a more solid sound, more consistent intonation and CONTROL of the situation. If you play in tune, others will follow.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    One way to possibly skin this cat is to suggest sectionals to the music director. This way intonation problems can be ironed out. Some people don't know they are playing or singing out of tune. Why? the sense of hearing as with just about any of the senses can habituate. Using a recorder at the sectionals can really make aware the intonation problems. But remember, identifying the problem is only one part. Then there's fixing the problem. Teaching the singers how to listen critically and identify what's proper intonation? Good luck and remember, learning can be fun, right?