Playing inspirational & Christian music.......how do you react to applause??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 27, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hello everyone. I know we have Christian musicians on our site, and I was wondering how you all react to when the group you are playing for claps for your music. I play at nursing homes, and at my own church, as well as other churches,most of the time,doing originals, but a fair selection of trumpet tunes(hymns) and, is it appropriate to say "Thank you" when they applause?? Sometimes, if its a rather "moving" song, the applause can be loud, and long. How do those of us who play in church react.......do you say"Thank you, or "Thank You, Lord".....help me out here. I hope this is in the right category.....I wasnt sure where to post it!!

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I just smile. :oops:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Graciously thanking an appreciative audience is always an appropriate why of acknowledging their input; at least in American society. But then again tacit knowing is also a nice way to acknowledge acceptance. For instance if a congregation member comes by to give a high five, I'll high five 'em right back. Sometime a tip and wave of the hand expresses that that the audience's appreciation is understood as well. The point is to read the audience and address their acceptance in a way you thing they will best understand. I think doing nothing would be the worst thing to do. In church, we receive and give praise. Stick with that spirit, and all will be right.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In a church setting, sometimes I'll smile to the audience turn my back on them and applaud the cross. I've also played concerts in which it was made clear at the beginning not to applaud, but leave in reverent silence. I'm not a big fan of applause in church. Funny how the music gets applause, but not the sermon.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Amen

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Amen,Amen!
    I just stand there and smile. Occasionally, I'll raise my hand(s) in praise with finger pointed up to acknowledge the gift I've been given. I never want them to think it's about me at all. I will admit, it can be awkward, especially if you play well. I try not to let it get to my head.

7. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    At our church, some of the congregation claps at the end of an awesome sermon / teaching. The pastor does look a little awkward when this happens. However, clapping is a form of worship from the Old Testament and although I don't partake in the post message clapping, I'd like to believe those that do so are actually praising God for the revelation they just received. I know I would feel awkward if that was me. I too would acknowledge the clapping by pointing to the One who is deserving making sure credit is given where credit it due.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    If I get any feed back at ours, it's usually after the service. The turning and clapping at the cross is an idea, though. It's usually the three of us when brass is used in a service. Our PT organist called last night, and wishes to use us in two weeks. C's requested along with flute and picc. Practice next Sat..............Buck:oops:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A lightning strike through the horn from the heavens above sends a strong message as well.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I am a bit 'put off' by applause after a musical rendering in church. I am from a distant past generation where a different form of applause was used, such as a chorus of Amens, thank you Lord, etc.. Now, when I play in a church and the congregation wants to clap, I simply smile, bow my head in response and return to my seat. My strong feeling is that I am "making a joyful noise to my Lord", not, entertaining the crowd.

OLDLOU>>