Playing inspirational & Christian music.......how do you react to applause??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    I think the line has been blurred between being led in praise and being entertained.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One size does not necessarily fit all. While I agree, the feeling you stated above is highly valid in the traditional church setting. With that said, there are some fairly progressive services out there now, with video, choreography, and music. I was in a jazz quartet that was hired by the church to provide the musical background. Applause was common place for all performers, and the sermon. We did acknowledge approval with humble nods, but the crowd would not only applaud but chant their approval with hoots and whoops. Different cultures will provide you with a different setting. We must be open to this as musicians.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    At our church we have a small "orchestra." Once a month that group plays a prelude, an offertory, a postlude, the hymns and doxology, and sometimes the anthem along with the choir. We do this at the eight and 11 o'clock services. In that setting there is increasingly applause as a reaction. That is different than a solo or featured performance. In a group like that, if the conductor does not raise the group in acknowledgement then nothing else is expected from the musicians.

When I am being featured, then when/if there is applause afterward, I usually give a slight smile, nod my head once and look to the heavens. If I were to turn to the cross and applaud, that would be too good a shot for the balcony of my bald spot in the back.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Absolutely. It is a symptom of modern life. HOWEVER, if you can't bring in new people to hear the message....

Job # 1....Get 'em in God's house.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When playing in a Praise and Worship band in Seattle, it was our goal not to be too good. Word on the street is that Matt Redman's The Heart of Worship was written as the Praise and Worship team took a hiatus, after realizing more people were coming for the music than the sermon.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Smile and your tilt head in acknowledgment and say, "Glory be to God". Ultimately all praise and worship are unto Him.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I smile and nod my head.
    By "Christian" music, I'm sure you mean Bach, Faure, Tippet, Bruckner, Messiaen, Rutter and others like them, as well, right?

8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    By the term "Christian", I meant the stuff Ive written(All to Jesus) because Im not always playing at church.....I do appreciate everyone's input....glad to see so many of you responding!!! Thanks,all!!!:):-)

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Thought I might add some thoughts based on my perspective as both a musician and church pastor. Like others my heritage disdained applause as a way to express appreciation, rather hearty "Amens" were permitted/encouraged/solicited as a way to show appreciation. As a church member, a musician and a pastor I have seen many changes in the church, and hopefully I can express my observations in a concise manner.

Musicians typically fill one of two functions (and yes the lines separating the two are quite blurred). One is as an adjunct to worship (the traditional worship team function), and the other is featured performance. I have observed that when functioning as an adjunct to worship musicians--either individually or corporately--are less likely to receive a spontaneous expression of appreciation than when they function as featured performers. Simply, if you're accompanying a congregation while they sing you probably won't be applauded, but if you blow a solo or perform what we used to call "special music" you can expect to receive applause. Our angst is derived from our motivation. If you're playing a secular gig the applause is a way for you to evaluate the quality of your performance. Your purpose in playing is to be entertaining--to deliver a performance that is enjoyable and appreciated. But, when you're playing in church that's not your motivation. The receipt of applause or even other expressions of appreciation, are not your goal--your goal is to glorify God. And somehow people expressing their appreciation seems to diminish that effort.

So the inner struggle rages; and for lack of a more delicate phrase--we just need to get over it (and no one feels more uncomfortable than I when someone tells me how much they enjoyed a musical offering or a sermon). Those who express their gratitude, regardless of method, are doing so out of their compulsion to express themselves. They have a genuine need to applaud or say amen or whatever else they may do. So I advise people to be both humble and gracious. Acknowledge their applause (or amens) in a way that is comfortable to you (I close my eyes, slightly nod and say thank you); and inwardly thank God for the ability he has given you to reach the hearts of those who hear you play.

All this is, of course, anecdotal; I have done no real research just reflected on my experience. I hope this helps, and excuse my longwindedness.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Good post,Amzi. I've played for several denominations over the years, either as member or visitor. Anywhere from part of service, to special music, to praise and healing service. I get edified no matter how I participate.........Buck:oops: