Playing inspirational & Christian music.......how do you react to applause??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 27, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well said, well said. I think I like to add only that I try to be careful not to instruct or judge anyone for their expressions of appreciation, because it tends to put them off, after all their heart may or may not be in the right place, but I don't want to discourage anyone, ever.

2. Terrizzi

Terrizzi New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    throwing out a thought here, that many have touched on...taking a bit further....if God is true, no applause in church for anything but Him.
    Please commence the stone throwing.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You have overlooked the obvious it seems, if your God did not want applause (occasionally) those attempting it will have been struck by lightning - or is that a Greek mythology thing?

Oh stop! I'm kidding.

Interestingly my sense of humour (or whatever it is) comes from my Grandfathers, one a minister in the Methodist Church and the other a Lay Preacher, and organist, in the Baptist Church.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    No matter how you acknowledge it, God knows you inside and out, he made you how you are. Your true motivations and skills are all known to Him. If you play in a worship setting and get applause its all yours and accept it humbly however you are comfortable with. There are no known rules and a gentle and forgiving God wont sweat the details. He has blessed you with the understanding to be in church in the first place and using your gift of talent for his worship. It doesnt get any better than that. Best wishes.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    BTW lots of great responses here so far. I think He would be pleased if we asked Him next time we pray.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I too think I'd be put off by applause immediately following my playing, but with my horn in its case and I'm on my way to the car after the service when an individual tells me my playing was nice, my reply is just a respectful "Thank you" and I continue on.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is an interesting twist on Applause in Church. A whole sermon devoted to the meaning of applause, straight from the "owner's manual". Isn't held in kind regard by the scriptures according to this sermon. The clip is rather lengthy, but is worth watching. No need to thank me and definitely, hold the applause.

Heaven's Applause - YouTube

8. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    Look at them with a smile and walk off stage. Works for me when I do solo's.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In my church I'm trapped in the choir loft with no escape until the service is over, not that such really concerns me as my whole purpose was to be there for the whole service anyway. Also, there have been occassions where I played more than once at different times during the service, thus it would be a bit ridiculous to bounce back and forth. And yet otherwise when I am not playing, I am singing with the choir whereas we all rehearsed together the prior Wednesday evening.

10. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    To me saying "Thank you" is a bit silly. I think the best thing to do would be to look at them and smile, That way you are not interrupting anything that could be going on. I've never done any church performances I hardly go to church anyways but the few chamber concerts I have done I wouldn't say anything at the end of the performance mostly because I would mess up half way through the song because my nerves tense up and make it hard for me to make a decent buzz..