Playing inspirational & Christian music.......how do you react to applause??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 27, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Receiving praise, especially at church, used to make me pretty uncomfortable. Applause is easier to take than someone coming up and addressing me directly after I play, or after a service. I used to play it off like it wasn't anything special, but my wife pointed out that taking that approach is borderline insulting to the person who has gone out of their way to give you a compliment. It's basically like saying they don't know what they are talking about, and that they have wasted their time trying to pay you a compliment. Now I simply smile, say thank you, and that I appreciate the kind words. After all, we are the ones who put in the work and effort to make it as good as it can be for its use in the service.

2. freemanfan

freemanfan New Friend

Oct 14, 2011
    We bring our gift and He honours it - if people show appreciation we should smile, nod, acknowledge them be professional and courteous.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Many of us were raised in churches where clapping was not done after musical numbers. However, we have to realize that people today are attending churches where more emphasis is placed upon church services being more seeker friendly" and where the music appears to be more entertaining. It does not surprise me that people clap after hearing a musical number. Many clap after hearing praise and worship, testimonies and other parts of the services. If churches today expect their congregation to enjoy services where they feel more comfortable and relaxed, then it is likely today's congregations will show their appreciation. Today's congregations clap after musical numbers as they are made up of more people who have attended concerts and are used to showing their appreciation by clapping for the musicians. To them, it is not showing disrespect, but gratitude for what they have heard and experienced.

Most churches have relaxed dress codes today, but people aren't discouraged from attending church services. How many times have you seen men wear hats in services that would have been an issue generations ago. Churches are glad to see the men attending church services instead of only women and children. I believe clapping after musical numbers, seeker friendly services, relaxed dress codes and things like will also mean oday's church services will be far different than what they may have generations ago. I am happy to see people enjoy attending church and having a wonderful time. If clapping makes them feel better, so be it. A musician might feel embarassed by it, but at least they know someone appreciates the gift they are willing sharing for worship.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've been away from the Church I grew up in for more than 50 years, but today and last Sunday I have visited. Notably, the traditions have not changed since my youth. The men still wear suits and ties and the women appropriately to match.
    Then and now, there has not been applause after song or sermon. Today, there was a choral soloist, a high school sophmore, whose voice was spectacular IMO. No applause as she finished. However, as we were leaving the Church, along with the Minister, she stood in the doorway to receive comment and a hand clasp. Her responses were very poised from, "I'm happy you enjoyed it", to a pleasant "Thank you" to my comment of "Nice voice".

I've not been poured in a mold as I'd then be like others, but both laud and critique I welcome at the appropriate moment. It is my choice to wear a suit and tie when I enter any House of Worship. It's your choice of what you wear and how you act / react wherever you are. Just don't be offended when you are denied access when your attire is not considered to be properly appropriate. I've known of a dress and conduct code to be in place many other places other than a House of Worship.

5. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    This is an interesting topic. I always get surprised by applause, only because I'm not expecting it, nor thinking about. My reaction is therefore usually one of a startled looking band leader wondering why everyone's clapping. The times it has happened for me, it has been after a 'musical interlude', a time when the band is playing while something else is happening e.g. the kids are moving out to the Sunday School program or we're having a reflective moment for whatever reason. I've always taken any applause as the congregation saying thank you for allowing them to reflect on God and to get into the headspace of praise and worship. I also see it as them saying "thank you for actually using your gifts for God and giving your time".
    I appreciate it but I've been up there enough times when things haven't gone well so it's easy not to get a big head.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The three of us played yesterday, along with the organist. She lkes to make up combos of hymns to use as special music. One part of the combo was Amazing Grace with her and my Wife on flute doing a descant in the flute's lower register. Our part was an intro and then Grace Greater Than Our Sin, all three of us plus the organ. Done on our C horns and wife's flute. This is a UMC congregation, we played about half way through the service. Was surprised with applause at that point. Small congregation with no choir, so special music is a treat for them........Buck:oops:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We rocked the house yesterday with Chris Tomlin's "All My Fountains". You tube videos are okay but lack the trumpet arrangement. Folks would have swung from the chandeliers if we had them!! When we have a worship service like that, all you can do is join in!! Throw in a harmonica and a slide whistle... ! Great time!!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    When people applaud in church -- I smile, look upward, and am thankful that I can play an awesome sounding trumpet -- OR that God can make any sound I play come out of the trumpet, and make it beautiful music to the parishioners ears.
    if they clap --that is a positive reaffirmation that God and I are on the same page of music that day --- so keep walking that way!!!

Ephesians 2:10
    For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome back dude. Really missed you!!

10. thomas

thomas New Friend

Jan 16, 2008
    Butler Pa.
    I used to think that clapping was not appropriate in church but people like to clap. I don't want to receive glory for myself because God desrves all the glory because that is where our talent comes from. I do feel a little awkward when people clap. It kindof takes me by surprise and I don't know how to respond. I like the idea of smiling and pointing upward and maybe saying thank you.