Playing inspirational & Christian music.......how do you react to applause??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Especially if you tell them it's Holy Water.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, No... No yuk! Especially when you tell them it is Holy Water.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I thought that spit flowed up south of the equator. Do you put rags on the ceiling in Australia?

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aha, ever the educator Robin? That's why my hand gets wet then! Perhaps trumpets made in the northern hemisphere are not suitable for south of the Equator then?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of the cool things about playing in a church or other historic site is that we get to spit on the floor. If they object, a spittoon is a fun way to comply, and a little olive oil down the leadpipe makes for a satisfying splat sound, at least north of the Equator. I dunno, maybe it sounds like "talps" down under.

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Since the stuff that comes out of the water key is mixed with valve oil, I always try to put down a paper towel or something.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The problem here in the U.S. is that now a genuine spittoon is about as rare as a very vintage trumpet. I suppose in this respect is that I've now three of them, one my maternal grandsfather used (he chewed tobacco), one I recovered from the Wabash Railroad Terminal in Pittsburgh PA when it was demolished (I worked on that demo crew), and one my mother-in-law had (she dipped snuff). When I practice at home I use a small plastic lined waste basket as likewise I have each of the four boys I'm presently turoring have alongside their chairs since the floor is carpeted and graciously made available for us to use FREE.

P.S. Real spittoons are a beast to clean and polish.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Truth be told, in a church setting I wear black pants and let out the condensation on my leg--discreet and no noise. I do know my mobbing techniques though.