playing into a electric tuner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by splinter, May 3, 2007.

1. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    IMAGINE a piano that never had a tuning fork or other tuning device applied during the tuning process; and, only a single person's trained ear to make sure it was in tune. Worse yet, imagine a committee of three to decide how each key was to be tuned.

It would, then, all depend upon the ear of the particular person doing the tuning. (Could it be Beethoven? ;-) ) A piano's tuning would vary based on ONLY the subjective judgment of an individual tuner.

There MUST be an objective, dependable reference and it cannot ONLY be a person's unaided subjective ear. OTOH, the tuning device needs the trained ear to do the actual physical adjustments to the instrument.

2. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    If pianos were acousticaly perfect,it would be possible to calibrate an electronic tuning aid to A440,tune each note on the piano to the tuner,and end up with perfectly beatless octaves throughout.Because of "inharmonicity", however,the octaves must be streched in order to be beatless,with the treble notes sharp of thier theoretical pitches and the bass notes flat.If a piano is tuned to an electronic aid without compensating for inharmonicity,the treble will be flat and the bass will be sharp.
    Taken from the book,"Piano servicing,tuning,and rebuilding." by Arthur A. Reblitz

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I just had a Twilight Zone moment.

The little low-resolution photo you use below your name in your posts looks exactly like me, and I have a circa 1985-1986 photo of me holding my baby daughter which is almost identical to that photo.
    If you were born in 1956 in Missouri, then my mother has a lot of 'splainin' to do.

That is downright spooky.

- morris

4. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    What reference do you use to know if the piano is in tune?

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Tuning fork, then your ears. How do professional piano tuners tune pianos?

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico

I wouldn't trade their happiness for my misery.

Michael McLaughlin

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you listen to string players tune, they have gotten used to the sound of in tune 4ths and 5ths. Piano tuners use 4ths, 5ths and octaves to tune. Again, an E in a C major chord has a different frequency than an E in an A major chord. I know of no tuners that compensate based on key signature. When you play an in tune 4th or 5th, you HEAR the additional resonance and sum and difference tones!

There have been several different attempts to create a standard tuning in the last couple of hundred years. Organ players know quite a bit about this because historical instruments often keep this old tuning. Certain baroque ensembles that I play with, use mean tuning (common before Bach) that is much different than our standard "well tempered". No "tuner" can help you there.

8. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    I have heard of tuners recently being built with "mean" and "just" tuning templates.