Playing Lead

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adam Smith, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    So I got placed playing upper lead this year in the marching band. I usually hate threads like this but I need help. Right now (for marching) I am playing on a bach 5c. I need a mouthpiece to help me play higher longer. I can not play on very shallow mouthpieces because I have large lips. But what I would like to know...is what kind of dimensions of mouthpieces should I try out and it would be cool if anyone could list a few specific cup/backbore/rims from specific companies that would be good? Im thinking I should get a rim with a little bite, to help facilitate buzz when Im tired. And probably a slight funnel shaped cup to speed up my air. I have no idea of what is best when it comes to backbores. (I play on my bach 37 reverse leadpipe). Any words would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Adam,

I having been playing a Bach 3D in concert band settings. It has a nice big sound that blends in well with other players but it supports Range quite well. In a concert last night I played a couple of Gs above High-C and I just finished practicing a few minutes ago and I ended my practice on double-C. It has a bit bigger cup than your 5C so your lips may fit into it quite well. I have a 5C mouthpiece also and I know the 3D works better for me.

I also play a Superchops 1 mouthpiece I got from Jerome Callet but I only play it when I am playing Lead in a Big Band. If I am playing 3rd or 2nd I play on the 3D. In the concert band setting, the Superchops doesn't blend in well with the other players, most of whom are playing Bach 1.5 to Bach 3C mouthpieces. The Superchops mouthpiece is a great mouthpiece but it is a bit shallow, like E to F, and the Rim size is a bit bigger than a Bach 7C. I would recommend the 3D as a good place to start.

3. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    thank you, i might have to check that out...I will most likely play whatever I buy in jazz band as well.

4. Shihan7

Shihan7 New Friend

Apr 16, 2007
    Greetings,
    I play a Schilke 13a4 in Jazz settings. It is a bit shallow but, not like some of the crazy Bobby Shew style cups. It's outer rim dimensions are almost exactly the same as a 7c. It is a great upper register mouthpiece and doesn't bottom out like the extreme shallow cups. I've been consistently at and above double high C with it. For marching band it would be great, and having large lips won't be a struggle with it.
    Anyway, God bless and have fun....

5. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Why not just go buy a Bach 5D or 5E? Dave Hickman has all of his students buy 3 different mouthpieces with the same rim. One with a standard "C" or "B" cup, one with a deep flugel-like cup and one that is shallow. This way you can switch mouthpieces easily without changing the general feel on your chops.

Having "Big Lips" means nothing with the depth of the cup since your lips really don't go very far into the mouthpiece. If the 5 rim feels good to you, you will have no problem moving to a shallower version. You also won't have to feel like you are playing something completely different every time you switch.

Hope this helps.

6. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    You would have to buy some kind of equivalent for a D depth cup as Bach does not make a 5D as a stock model. Maybe like a Reeves 42S or 42M

7. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you are going to go the "multiple mouthpieces with the same rim" route, which I personally think is a great idea, I would go with Curry. I have done this, and I cannot feel a difference where they contact my lips. The tolerances when making his mouthpieces are remarkably tight. See my signature for what I have.

For you I would try a 5* or 5Z. I play my 2* for Big Band Jazz to help blend with the lead player, if I am playing lead, any non-legit music that stays up in the higher register, or if I want a brighter tone.

One thing you should be aware of, Bach mouthpieces have been known to be somewhat inconsistent in their tolerances, so your mouthpiece rim may be a bit bigger or smaller than the Curry 5 rims (which are modeled off of Bach 5 mouthpiece rims). It shouldn't be too big of a change though, so getting acclimated to it should be fairly easy. Because of this possible difference, you may want to also order a Curry 5C, so you then have two mouthpieces with virtually identical rims.

Also, Curry MPs are fairly inexpensive - a big plus for the college musician.

Cheers, and good luck!
    Shermy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Just remember, we're not talking about a mpc that will give you more notes, per se. Just make the notes you have a bit easier. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways. Sometimes, it is a mpc that just has a brighter sound to it. (brighter sound = hear yourself better = reduces the tendency to over blow...IN YOUR SITUATION)

With your 5C....you could check out the GR 66 series. I would speak to Brian at GR (e-mail him at [email protected]) to let him know what you are feeling, type of horn you are using, the playing situation...and what you'd like to accomplish. From there, he will make some recommendations.

I think the Schilke mpcs might also work for you...but you'll just have to check them out. You'd probably need around a 12. Maybe a 12b4. ?? (though, you might benefit from a tighter backbore on any mpc, just to give you a little something to blow against vs that reverse lead pipe. Regardless of what brand you go with, a conversation/e-mail exchange with Brian would be beneficial.)

I would encourage you to stick with the diameter you are using...and not stray all over the place. Right now, that might only lead to trouble. Sounds like you are doing well...so don't mess around too much. Tighter/brighter backbore...with maybe just a slightly shallower cup... is perhaps all you'll need.

Hope you have a ton of fun!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  9. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, when it comes to mouthpieces, when folks see a post from they're probably running to get a string of garlic or a silver bullet or something while they're lighten' up their torches! :-) I do use some "fringe" equipment, when it comes to my Asymmetrics.

However, as part of a routine I use (more on that later) I practice on conventionals, as well. For this kind of playing I have two favorite conventional mouthpieces.

One is the Superchops1. It is terrific. It is a bit shallower, but with a light touch (one of the big reasons for using a mouthpiece like this - the ability to do certain things with a lighter touch), it plays great.]

Two is the New York Trumpet Company Stage 1 mouthpiece - Felix's custom design. It's a bit deeper (slightly) than the SC 1 and it, too, plays great! I'd give this one some serious thought, if you're concerned about the SC 1 being too shallow. Folks tend to think of Felix as only having a cool line of horns, but this is a neat mouthpiece. I think Tony Gambaro uses one, too.

Check them out.

Nick

10. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I've gotta put in another vote for the Curry Z cup mouthpieces. They use, I believe, the same rim shapes as bach mouthpieces so a 5Z is probably just what you're looking for. My 1.5Z really doesn't feel all that different than a standard bach C cup, but the zip in the sound and the ease in the upper register are unmistakable. Definitely give one a try.