Playing Lead

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adam Smith, Aug 16, 2007.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I vote for the 3D because it is probably in stock at your local music store. Buy it and use it for this season then look over the other suggestions the rest of the year. I use a 3D if that means anything. I had a custom 5D made and it is tighter blowing than the 3D.

Find a good machinist to drill it out one drill size and you'll be in pretty good shape for marching band and jazz band. The mouthpiece taper will fit into a #1 morse taper in the tail stock and chuck the drill bit. You should probably use a reamer before you try a drill bit.

Have a good year.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Mr. Smith,
    If you would like really good advice/help... I would reccomend calling Felix @ stage one. You could also call up the Monette, GR, and Reeves shops and they would love to talk to you. Have a good day.

Tim

3. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Another vote for the Curry Line.
    I already have three of his in the same Rim size and will likely add a ornet mpc to that.

The "Z" Cup is what you are looking for.
    Check out his specs to compare to your Bach 5 Rim.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adam,
    there is a lot of friendly advice here.
    The easiest mouthpiece in the world to find is a 7C as it comes with just about every horn made. That piece may just be the short term relief that you need for marching band (this means "free"). There should be plenty laying around collecting dust and it really is a great all around mouthpiece. Find one and try it - you may just like it!

Any permanent switch should not happen over the internet as none of us have any idea what your chops are capable of or need. ANY MOUTHPIECE SWITCH SHOULD BE PERFORMED WITH QUALIFIED LOCAL HELP! Any other advice is just conjecture!

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Yes, yes, yes. I think we all can appreciate your situation and are glad to offer "thoughts"...but call/contact a maker or dealer. They are all great to talk to and can translate what you are feeling/need, combine it with intimate knowledge of mouthpiece design...and come out with a solution "for YOU".

Enjoy...have fun...!

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Also a trumpet teacher they aren't trying to sell you anything.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't forget the possibility of sticking with your current mouthpiece, provide more cushion with your chops and blow faster. The time spent searching for the "perfect" marching band mouthpiece might well be better spent learning to be a monster player on a 5C. (Then, should you later switch to a lead mouthpiece you'll be even more of a monster lead player!)

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    also why are you playing a bach 37 in marching band? you should really use a back up student horn for that

9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I would second the GR guys. Check out the site, email Brian or Gary, and then contact a GR dealer (Felix at NYTC has them)

I would also second the "find a good teacher" idea. You need someone to hear and see you play. Find a good qualified person and go from there.

10. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Here's a third vote for the guys at GR. I jsut recently switched and they were fantastic with finding out exactly what I needed.