Playing Lead

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adam Smith, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    Thanks for all the great advice!!! I am not looking for a "lead" mouthpiece. Just one to help out with endurance and one that is more comfortable than my bach 5c. I played a 7c but switched to a 5c. I am going to consult with my new trumpet professor before I do anything. I will let you know what happens. Maybe playing those D's all day long on that 5c will be good for me and make me that much better. I don't want to damage anything though. (ps. the main reason i'm wanting to switch is because the end of my 5c is dented in like crazy and restricts my airflow. The first thing I will look at is other brands with sizes similar to a 5c.)

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I have had a 3D for many years. Bob Reeves cut the rim off my 3C and threaded it to a D cup. For me it is not any help for playing lead. It is not really very shallow at all. I have since switched to a 3B for my legit work. It has a bigger, darker sound.

I too have trouble with shallow mouthpieces. I tend to "bottom out" in them. (this has been a thread on the mouthpiece forum several times) I play an Allen Vizzutti Marcinkiewicz for my lead work. It has a rim with more "bite" which seems to keep me from falling into the cup, but is fairly shallow with a tight backbore. It makes it much easier for me to play 4 hours of lead and will produce a nice, cutting sound if you push it.

3. PSH

PSH Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2007
    Minneapolis MN; Denton TX
    I have always been a fan of Stork mouthpieces. I play a Stork 3c for legit stuff and a 3d for high range stuff/marching band etc. I have never had a problem with them, so they may be worth a look.

~PSH

4. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    I played a stork one of my teachers had laying around and I absolutely loved it! I had forgotten about them. I remember that mouthpiece feeling like "home." If felt like it should be on my lips. Plus I found their idea of "pumping up" a mouthpiece with a more funnel shaped cup interesting.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, if your Bach 5C is beaten up enough to retire, a new 5C might be a good idea. If you get a Curry 5C, you could also get a 5Z, which should work better in the upper register The Monstersleeves work wonders on the Curry blanks, and look cool in a Chrysler sort of way.

Before giving up on your 5C, however, see if you can find an old beater french horn mouthpiece, and use that as a mandrel to smooth the dented end back out. Just insert the small end of the horn mouthpiece into the end or yours, and kind of twist and push. Be careful not to enlage the tip of your mouthpiece beyond the original diameter, though.

It's cheap and fun, but don't use someone's good horn mouthpiece unless you don't like them much. Good luck!

6. tinnmann

tinnmann New Friend

Mar 10, 2004
    NE Ohio
    I had a very similar problem to yours. I ended up with a Warburton 4SV cup for the endurance problem up high and the 4D for the legit stuff. The Warburton rims have a little more "cushion" and a good bite with cups similar enough to Bach to find a good match. Go to Welcome to Kanstul Musical Instruments and click on the mouthpiece comparator link and you'll get a visual comparison that may help get you started.

7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    V Bro....

....you're killing me.....LMAO