playing linked to depression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by broazny, Oct 14, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Did you happen to read that recent, but now removed thread on "that other" trumpet forum regarding Ray Anthony? :-o

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    There is a really good trumpet player in our school.
    He got Distintion in Trinity College ATCL diploma on trumpet.
    And he works hard for it. Every single day I always see him in the music department music rooms practicing everyday in the early morning. I was amazed. That's where the success come from

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    No, I rarely visit TH. What did I miss? Or shouldn't I ask?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Play trombone for a while and see how that works for you.

Tom

5. broazny

broazny New Friend

Aug 31, 2014
    Thank you for the replies, I am actually pondering if I should find a new teacher or not. My friend recommend his teacher and I might try a lesson with him, and I completely agree that I may need a embouchure change.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Try a lesson, but man who recommended an embouchure change - you're kidding yourself.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A- Someone has to sit in the last chair (been there). B- Reading and technique are required elements to playing professionally (not a requirement in some bands :-(). C- How old are you and how long you been playing?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure you can, I hold the trumpet seat in the Eddie Brookshire Quintet. There is always the future you know.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The first chair tends to be a stressful location. You should be setting the standards to the section, so you have to have what it takes to gain their respect, and even when gained, someone down the line is going to challenge you for the chair. Luckily I had a cast iron stomach so the position did't get me ulcers.

I must admit though, having the first chair position in the Colorado State Statesman Bigband was a totally stress free position. The section was well knit, we had a blast and much fun together, and at greater than 5,000 feet, you really got a head buzz playing notes above the high C.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    What's wrong with 2nd and 3rd chair? If everyone in the band played lead it would suck, someone's gotta keep wind in the sails