playing linked to depression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by broazny, Oct 14, 2015.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I recall a thread that was something like Cool/Not Cool. One of the posts included the following:

Not Cool - Playing your part 8va
    Cool - Playing your part 16va

:lol:

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Link to zombie thread?

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Did a couple of searches; did not find results; used brain/memory instead.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Broazny, do you suck at everything, or just trumpet?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't want to sound like I did it all the time, my bad, just some times where it fit. If I thought it fit and he didn't, in no uncertain terms was I "informed", NO! DON'T DO THAT!! In the music we play, medley's of old rock groups, styles, time periods aren't inventive with some of the arrangements in the 2nd or 3rd parts. Many times it's just the 1st part 8vb.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Some charts were written in house, some bought at various Contemporary Worship music services, and then there was the good old standby "heart chart"!!! :D

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    I didn't read all the posts of the fellow TMers but.

If you practice with a trumpet teacher, there is no way you will not improve. You do improve but the change is minimal over the months, so that you don't understand how your skills changed

What do you mean? No range? Sound fluctuates in terms of pitch, timbre and dynamics? Being too humble and pessimistic is the same as being very sure saying I sound great etc.
    Upload something on YouTube and we'll tell you if you sound ****

Well playing the trumpet is not like eating MCDonalds all the time. It is actually a good cardio excercise :D :D :D . IT IS good for you. If your teacher is a trumpet player and not a sax player for example, tells you that you suck
    And makes you feel depressed, get another teacher. The skill ofthe teacher is important but his/hers attitude is equally important

That sums it up. Keep playing. Maybe exercise a bit, it will help your mood, cause I see that you are a bit down :D

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Understood. Thanks.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm afraid I can't agree. I was caught in a bad cycle of practice (while having a teacher) and no gain. What broke the cycle was when I changed teachers.
    Same thing years later. Another downward spiral (while having a teacher), again saved by a change of teachers.

So in my case, in both of these times, I was not improving even though I had a teacher.
    (And ironically, it was also teachers who saved me.)

10. Doc Wannabe

Doc Wannabe New Friend

Sep 7, 2015
    Cedar Falls, Iowa
    My thoughts exactly. Find the correct word even though that is difficult sometimes instead of being lazy and using garbage words as fillers.