playing linked to depression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by broazny, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As a tutor, I'm first to say I cannot do anything to improve how a student performs. I've held many sessions where all my demonstrations and discussions have been ignored. I am not very happy listening to a parent's tirade of why I am not teaching their child to play. Once, when I asked how often the child practiced at home, the answer surprised me ... but explained more than enough. The answer was: "Never! I do not want that noise in the house!"

I'll just leave it, that the way the choir is directed in most churches, I'm not soloing on trumpet, and in some not even singing with the choir. Once when I was singing the tenor part, the choir director called me out ... the choir had been just singing in unison, yet the song was written in the hymnal for 4 part harmony vis SATB.

I really chuckle when the choir director is out of synchronization with the organist. Or ... is it the organist who is out of synch?

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    What if he's the same person?

3. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    I get depressed when I don't play my trumpets.

When I'm in a group sing without my horn, I'm still playing it in my head and sounding way better than in real life!!

:D

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I believe it was Georges Mager who said there are no great teachers, only great students.
    You've heard of some of his students - Bud Herseth, Roger Voisin, Irving Sarin, Bernard Adelstein, and Leon Merian.
    I had wonderful teachers. They gave me what I needed but I didn't always do what they told me. Not out of being stupid (in a way I was) but out of laziness.
    Ed Lee has my sympathy. I was never told not to play at home. In fact, they would ask why AREN'T you practicing?
    I have had a couple very nice kids who did not do what I had given them to do. They didn't fare well as players. The ones that did do their assigned studies did become very nice young players.

Rich T.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's one of the reasons why I don't sing or play in the local Baptist Church. Another reason is their Allen organ has malfunctioned. A 3rd reason is that I'm not a Baptist. At least I've ascertained that 4 of their choir can not read music, inclusive of our good neighbor across the street ... and he is now not willing to learn how, even though I gladly teach him for FREE. He does share veggies from his garden with us.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Personally, I didn't stand a chance of not practicing at home, nor did my 2 brothers. My Mother was a concert quality pianist and a school teacher and for a time my Father was a teacher also. Too, we all were tutored at home by our public school instructor who was also our high school band director. I got relief as a high school junior, as I was working after school. By then I was playing pretty good and practicing on my own up in the attic (where my bedroom was). By the Friday night football game I always had the parts I'd play of the songs we'd play memorized.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ed, LOL, that doesn't make any sense at all. ;-)

Ref "dumb" parents, I had a recorder class of kids in Germany and shortly after I started it, a father showed up with his kid and a small cheap recorder that was in a different key than all the other kids' recorders. No matter what I said, this guy refused to acknowledge that it might not fit and was even belligerent about it. I could tell by listening to him that he was simply an ignorant person and somewhat of a bully at that. Sadly, in no time it was also clear that he followed in his father's foot steps. Even when we physically demonstrated the difference in keys between the class recorders and his child's he just said, "what difference does it make?"

8. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I'm pretty sure half the people in the parish choir couldn't physically sing (a much older demographic), at least half out of 60+ people well beyond retirement age The schola cantorum now has five "basses" including myself, there are younger people on the higher parts, half are from the larger choir previously mentioned. One "bass" spends half of Mass flipping around his binder even though I try to help him out by pointing in binder where we are. He does crack some kneeslappers once in a while. There's one "younger" bass in his mid to late fifties who has the volume but questionable solfeggio, but I can not hear the other half of the "basses". I type "basses" because they usually struggle to hit a first-space A at the bottom of the bass clef. Because I'm the youngest with the widest range and loudest voice, I usually end up having to carry the section in terms of pitch and making up volume to match the SAT sections (it doesn't help that the sanctuary eats low frequencies), so every Mass takes much more of a toll on me than it should.

I'm getting weary of singing with this group because I was enticed to join by the lit. director when he said if I joined, he'd have us sing some Russian Orthodox repertoire and I could sing drone. So far, nothing beyond humdrum music, which I've surmised is because he had loftier aspirations, after downsizing, than even the "superior" singers are capable of producing. He goes over the same concepts, week in, week out, to no avail, about shaping phrases, sustaining notes for their full value, paying attention to dynamics, y'know- stuff learned in fifth through eighth grades about music.
    It's not helping that he sent me and my wife a snippy e-mail today, too - even after he got to play the wedding Mass setting to die for at our Nuptial Mass - because she sent him a message this morning about how we drove across town to go to practice last night only to find ourselves locked out of the building and no one was around to let us in.

9. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    And that's why you go to a Mennonite church with great acoustics. I hate visiting other churches, the harmonies back at home are consistently solid.

10. gunshowtickets

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Pretty much any church built before WWII will have decent, if not great, acoustics.