playing linked to depression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by broazny, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Built in 1986??? Around there, but it had acoustic on the top of the priority list. It's great fun to play in. :D

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Quite a bit of good advice here. I agree that you might need to see a different teacher. However, I have had a lot of success getting trumpet players to play baritone/euphonium for 9 weeks (one grading period) or longer. Playing the larger mouthpiece will help strengthen different muscles in our embouchure. When these people go back to trumpet they frequently have solved many of the chop problems that plagued them. Some don't want to go back. One became the euphonium soloist with the high school band.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Very interesting. This reminds me of what my father-in-law related to me about his learning process. His high school band director took him off trumpet for a year and had him play trombone instead. Whether the director just needed a competent trombone player at the time, IDK, but my father-in-law felt that the experience made him a better trumpet player. I do know from him and other members of the family that he was invited to audition for Harry James, but he didn't have the confidence to follow through. Go figure. :dontknow: :-(

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Even diagnosed with COPD, I still double on trumpet and euphonium, the latter with the same mouthpieces as a T-bone and baritone. I'd play my T-bone again, but with such a long hiatus, my slides are no loner as accurate as thy should be or as fast as they need be. It sits in it's case up on the op shelf except bi-monthly when I give it a maintenance go-over.

5. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    I think trying a new private teacher is definitely worth a shot. If you are practicing that much and you are improving in musicianship but your trumpet sound is not improving, that is very peculiar. I have had private teachers that were great players but didn't really understand how to explain what I needed to change in order to fix a problem. On the flip side I have had teachers who were real students of trumpet technique, they had worked and studied their way through all kinds of playing issues and they could sometimes correct a nagging problem with just a few words or some simple exercises. Also some teachers just don't really teach anything, they just assign things and seem to assume that enough practice will eventually fix all issues.

As an example I took up another instrument several years ago just for fun and took some private lessons from a great player who was just not a teacher. The only thing we did was go through a book, a couple pages per week, and the only correction given was when an error was made in playing the written music (which is always very obvious). There was basically no correction and demonstration on proper playing technique (which I desperately needed) or getting the best sound. Since I had so many great trumpet teachers I quickly dropped this teacher and made much quicker progress.

If a new teacher doesn't help, personally I would try another instrument that I could get exited about. It could be that another instrument will just be a more natural fit for you.

6. broazny

broazny New Friend

Aug 31, 2014
    Wow so many replies, sorry School has bee pretty rough this week. I discussed my issues with my teacher, and we found out that my main issue was trying way too hard. Which I am now recovering from. However, we discover my aperture was too big, but I still cant solve this problem. we did some mouthpiece buzzing, but I produce no buzz. I play on a 1/2b.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just by what you state, it is likely that aperture is not the immediate issue, but buzzing certainly is. Too, I'll assume you meant to say you play on a 1 1/2 B sized mouthpiece as a Bach 1 1/2 B is one of my favored mouthpieces [ the one I use with my G bugle to sound Taps ]. It may seem ridiculous, but I'd suggest you work with strips of wax paper to produce the kazoo effect as is expected only to sensitize your lips to the buzz feel.

Too, you'll read above, I double on euphonium.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Broazny, I was taught that the key to getting the aperture back together is to master "ghost tones," whisper-quiet long tones and playing. To start, practice long tones with a decrescendo to almost nothing, where the sound seems to be "trapped" in the bell, then try to start various notes this quietly. Have courage, keep plodding away, and things will get better.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ed, could you take this one step further and describe what you mean? What do you do with the wax paper? Thanks.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Place a strip of wax paper lightly between the lips and blow softly. The sound that emanates sounds like a Kazoo, but the feel to the lips is a buzz.

It was my paternal grandmother who taught me this a year or so before I was old enough to begin school and too young to do any chores on the farm during the summers I stayed with my grandparents.

Now I'm a buzz hummer, as is to say I hum a song and buzz my lips simultaneously. Like my wife, some are annoyed by my hum-buzz. My pulmonologist isn't as he can evaluate my ability to breathe by it.