Playing Louder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Hey guys I need help to play louder. I am in a marching band and a british style brass band but since I cant play out I cannot be heard by them.
    Have any tips?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Practice quietly in all registers
    then try playing loudly
    I'm dead serious...
    I use to play too quiet and just practicing loudly helped (Clarke technical exercises are what I used, but that's moot)

Also, try more air,
    Not trying to force more air through the horn, but take a bigger, deeper breath. With a bigger breath, we get more control, allowing for more variations in what do through the horn.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I will try this is there any other tips

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Carmine Caruso studies. His treatise on breath control is spectacular. What he advocates, in a nut shell, is to totally evacuate the partially 'de oxigenated' air from the lungs at each breath before taking in that new charge of air. This fresh charge of air is heavily laden with oxigen and will sustain the body, ( and your playing ), much longer and easier than a lung full of mostly already used up air that is mostly CO2.

OLDLOU>>

5. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Sounds great guys, thanks for the ideas

6. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Just open up your aperture. Works for me.

7. SuperTrumpetDude

SuperTrumpetDude New Friend

Aug 15, 2008
    Seattle, WA, USA
    This is my area of expertise. :) I march behind the piccolos in my band, and they have told me how loud I am, so I think I can help you out.

I can play loudly, and the way I do it is just use a lot of air and air support. Also, it might help to have a certain sound you want in mind before you play a note.

For air support, just keep the air you breathe in pressurized.

Breathing is also very important in a marching band. Make sure to take full breaths from the bottom of your lungs (your abdomen should swell) and NOT from the top of the lungs.

Having the mentality that trumpets should always be heard might help you out as well. After all, it is the best instrument. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's true but uncomplete. Your chops should be strong enough to support the loud sound, without breaking or bending the notes (most of us tend to play flat in loud dynamics). To build up your chops and learning them to do what you need, the above advices are all excelent: play softer and try get louder later, when you have built and educated your chops. On outside gigs you may try to use shallower mouthpiece (assuming that normally you use a deep V cup mouthpiece, so common for traditional brass bands) for getting more projection. However, if your sound get too bright to blend with the cornet section you may decide that the hardware change is not the solution

9. SuperTrumpetDude

SuperTrumpetDude New Friend

Aug 15, 2008
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Yes, that's true. I'm just speaking from my own experience. I guess playing loudly came more naturally to me than it might come to others.

10. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I find practising lip flexabilities loud with a practice mute is useful. It simultaneously strengthens the chops and gets the air moving. When you take that mute out, i find the instrument roars with little effort.