Playing Louder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    Thats almost the case for me to. I'm one of the louder trumpets (or even brass players for that matter) in my marching band. Everyone tells me that it sounds really good. But, I tend to overpower and play to loudly. I've even gotten comments from trombone players complementing me on my volume.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Dude, if you overpower the trombones, this is a diagnosis ROFL

3. SuperTrumpetDude

SuperTrumpetDude New Friend

Aug 15, 2008
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Lol! I know I'm one of the loudest in my band, but being complimented by trombones is almost unheard of!

4. DarkKnight88

Mar 12, 2008
    Lol Yeah. Unusual isn't it?

5. DarkKnight88

Mar 12, 2008
    Lol I'm not actually louder. They just compliment me on my volume. Because I can still play quite loud with a very good sound (without blasting or splatting)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    WHOAAHHHHH,
    This is exactly the approach that gets anybody into trouble!

You don't need to play more loudly, it doesn't help! You need to do things that make your playing more "hearable". Yes, I am talking about 2 completely different things.

If we analyse the situation, everything that makes a trumpet players concert chops desirable (big, dark, beautiful sound) is a disadvantage on the field.

The stupid thing to do is to force the issue. You just end up wasting your face and probably with it any possibility of a reasonable trumpet future!

My 10 cents is to get a smaller, shallower mouthpiece and start to play BRIGHTER. That gets you heard. I will not start my rant about IDIOT band directors that sacrifice musicality for penetration on the field or promote musical balance with a sledgehammer. I wish these animals would trip and break a leg for a season or two.

If you were my student, I would find you a different band!

7. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    well if it is a hardware problem should I maybe go back to my 7c or get a 3 or a 1.5

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I will suggest a Bach 3D or a Schilke 15A4a.
    The Schilke has a schmidt style back bore and will give you a fast air feel. I own one and would only use it for marching band. It is too tight for me if I were asked to play in a jazz band. I am too old for marching but that is my $0.02.

9. SuperTrumpetDude

SuperTrumpetDude New Friend

Aug 15, 2008
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I march with a Schilke 14a4, and it suits my needs just fine.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A 3D or a 7D/7E may be better. You want to be heard and brighter makes that easier. Try to play before you pay.

The Schilke 13A4A, 14A4A and 15A4A are specialty mouthpieces. I can't play on them anymore, so I am VERY careful about recommending them