Playing low on the pitch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Aug 6, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Hi,

I was recently watching some minute master classes on youtube, and in one of them Adam Rapa talks about playing low on the pitch.
    He only demonstrates it but does not really explain how to do it.

So, who has experience with this and/or mastered it? and how did you do it?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    if it's this video
    Minute Master Class - Adam Rapa 1 - YouTube

He actually does ... he tells you to relax. If you try holding a note and then relax you should note the pitch drop a bit. The exercise he does to show this is just basically relaxing and let the note drop down to the next partial. keep relaxing and the note will go flat until it drops down to the next partial.
    Just don't confuse playing on the low side of the pitch with playing flat.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    coolerdave likes this.
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

From that, I can tell that you haven't played one, but that's a discussion not meant for this thread

But relaxing will fix many trumpet problems, even just going through Monette's guide to using their pieces. Monette is allllll about relaxing, no pressure or tension.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That concept seems quite important in the Monette philosophy, along with the whole body use and relaxation. I find that it is easier to experience with the G on top of the staff, which tends to be sharp for me. By relaxing and really focusing on the most efficient sound production I have been able to bring it down without the sound degradation that happens when you get away from the center of pitch. I guess you just have to experiment around the note to get a feel of what it's like.

This kind of thing is, in my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles in learning (and teaching, I'm sure) the trumpet. Often times what I hear explained to me in words, even though I understand it, does not fully make sense. I can't relate it to what I feel and experience on the MP and horn. Translating what is a purely non verbal neuro-muscular skill in words is tricky business. I don't worry about it any more. I continue practicing and, as my sensations get more refined, understanding comes in time.

6. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    I tried it yesterday, with mouthpiece and stuff,
    And I tried to play high on the pitch first and slowly let it relax and fall,
    Did some tonguing with it and I must say that the tone quickly improved.
    Some more mouthpiece buzzing and it even became a little easier to play.

I now play on the low(er) end of the pitch ..and it works :)

Problem solved!

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't think 25 1/4 hours is what he had in mind

8. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Just spend 15 minutes first time.. I got the hang of it and know how to produce it and how it sounds, now I'll work it in my warm up and improve it even more...
    It's really simple actually but not a habit yet. I was already playing on the lower end of the pitch anyway but I didn't knew because I never heard the middle or the higher.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Adam also talks about doing this pitch-bend lip trill down a semi-tone on the pitch. This, along with leadpipe playing, can really help one find and learn to recognize the resonance of the pitch.