playing music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 23, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Is it possible to listen to music say anywhere
    You. Tube radio whatever & then try to play it on
    the horn the same way just by listenning?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If you are good enough, sure.

3. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Why not?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if you have the ear for it - ya ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. christos

christos New Friend

Dec 17, 2011
    greece
    sure. It depends thogh on how good you are, how difficult is the piece. ''playing by ear'' is a good exercise for impro.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It is actually something you may want to work on, very useful. When it comes to improv, only so much can be learnt by reading music. You need to KNOW how you will sound, considering pitch, attack and such. It will be imperative for you in the future.

7. christos

christos New Friend

Dec 17, 2011
    greece
    you should also keep in mind that there were / are musicians that couldn't or cannot read music, so they totally rely on this ability. some are geniuses, and can ''catch'' a music phrase with great easy, as if it were a spoken sentence.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    A close friend of mine, who can play circles around me, has never read a note in his life. He has me sing everything to him, or has someone play it for him. Developing an ear is a necessity, like christos said many musicians cannot even read music.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HEY, don't forget about us people who can read music, but don't have an ear to pick this stuff up. Well, Ok, I have half an ear for music -as I can sometimes pick up a line or two --- but then I get lost after that. BUT that is great for the people who can play by ear ---NOW get them to read music, so they can write this stuff down for us less fortunate musicians ----YEAH they can be transposers for us less fortunate ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    If you have the ear. I can since i grew up playing the trumpet in church with no teacher. Just picked it up and started blowing.