playing music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I learned how to play trumpet playing along to commercials on tv. I couldn't read music until I was in grade 10, and I started in grade 7. Ear training is vital to being a well rounded musician.
    That being said, I also had weekly trumept lessons starting in high school, and took music theory extensively until I finished my performance degree. It is all important.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Reading music is also important, my apologies Kingtrumpet. Could you possibly find it in your heart (or whatever it is you have) and forgive me?

3. christos

christos New Friend

Dec 17, 2011
    greece
    God forgives, kings forget...:-)

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Learning to play by ear is a great training tool that players use to improve their improvisation. Of course, reading music is always another good talent to have, but learning to know where the pitches are in your head, and how to play over what you hear is very important.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    What?? you mean I wrote something insensitive as to get you "ear" players to learn music --- and figure out what all those little black notes mean???? how insensitive I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---