Playing on full/empty stomach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    I like to play with something in my stomach, even just water, because I can breathe "against" something. Has anyone else felt like this?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No, but it is better on a stomach with no food. Then you dont spit food into your trumpet.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Usually, the great creator has designed our anatomy and physiology to keep these two systems separate. I am not sure what it means (or feels) to breathe against something in my stomach, except for gas. I do not like the competition between gas in my stomach and gas in my airway. We as humans have been given some great muscle groups to control the air in the respiratory track. The GI track... Not so much.... Beeerrruuuppp!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    eating gets the digestive process going and that takes TONS of energy. That is why we get sleepy after lunch. If I eat at all, it is a small portion of noodles. They digest fast and don't seem to make me sleepy.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 for the post above.

Huge amounts of energy are needed to digest the average breakfast, and you don't get the energy from that food until later ..... That's why, for many years now, I've only eaten very small amounts of breakfast food (water, fruit, toast, coffee). I work in the morning and the last thing I want is a big meal, then a lack of energy.

Fruit in the morning is great because it take almost no energy to digest and you get immediate energy out of it. If you want to be energetic for a practice session or gig, eat a few bananas, drink some water. If you've eaten a sizeable meal before your session, a lot of your energy will go to digesting.

For singers, there are certain types of foods to be avoided before critical singing, like dairy products, for one. Honest, I can't remember what exactly the physiological thing is, but it's bad for the voice. My singing coach would say, if you're not sure, don't eat before singing. Something with the throat and/or vocal cords. Could also be bad for trumpet playing ... not sure.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Leave it to rowuk to present such valuble food for thought. Of coures, we know he is always using his noodle here on TM, and we can never put anything pasta, right? I am so inspired, that I will take a few noodles over to my corner where I am nursing my gin and tonic and Carbo-Hydrate.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You should really have a nurse to help you administer that G&T. Just to be safe .....

Turtle

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I think everyone is different when it comes to how their body works for them. Some of the ideas above are right on for me and some not. If you are over the age of, oh, say fifteen then you should already know what works and what doesnt as far as eating, sleeping and just having your eyes open. Specific dos and donts wont work for everyone and may be the exact wrong thing for some people. I'd go by your past experience and let that tell you what feels best. My general rule of thumb is dont go to the extreem on anything and be alert for feedback that will teach me what to do in the future. Hope this very noncomittal response makes sense to you. Best wishes.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am not a DoCtOr, or is that dOcToR???? but I am thinking if you want something in your stomach --- the a glass or two of water would work wonders for you. Should give you that "full" feeling, and also help hydrate you, whilst avoiding pesky little food particles that might lodge in the trumpet, eventually causing "red rot". I think water is the winner in this category!!!!!!!!!!! win-win ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Here's a hint: perhaps some 90% of all brass players problems can be cured by telling them emphatically to

"JUST TONGUE AND BLOW"

Yet we commonly spend 90% of our time diagnosing those minor 10% of the problems which do need some kind of understanding regarding embouchure, mouthpiece, placement etc.

The cart is before the horse. Blow like hell and you will improve. or at least sound more confident. I'm not making this stuff up.