Playing on full/empty stomach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can attest to this -- JUST BLOW INTO THE THING! - yes, local357 turned me on to a trombone -- so for the past week or so, I have been just blowing into the thing -- and I can play!!!!!! played theme from Rocky last night ("gonna fly now") -- albiet slower than on a trumpet -- but walah, blow into it, and I already see improvement!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know I am going to regret asking this question, but KT, do they make Asymmetric Trombone mouthpieces? And if so, did you get yours yet?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or when you get to my age, just opening up your eyes and seeing there is a world out there... I say Oh great, I've got another day on earth... but still run down to read the obits, just to make sure I am not in them.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Love it when you talk Doctor talk, Doc.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No, but you could make one. I saw a website that showed how to make any mouthpiece an asymmetric. You just take a piece of metal and solder it into the cup. But then I read saying how to have it equally center on both lips. I thought that you use just your top lip, and the bottom was on the plate doing nothing. I learned some useless knowledge!

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I would question the wisdom of makimg an asymmetric trombone mouthpiece. The reasoning is that since the trombone setting is a relatively easy embouchure to put out endurance, volume and range, why bother? A little like putting falsies on grandma.

Who cares for the result?

From what I found out of the Lynch Asymmetric trumpet m/piece was that it was somewhat helpful at squeaking out a few more high notes at the very top end. Others I've heard from have told me the same thing: "Good just to make a few more high notes somewhat more musical".

So if indeed we're talking about notes probably in excess of a concert High C? You would never need to blow anything even remotely close to that register on the trombone.

In my opinion, at least for me and speaking only for myself I wouldn't use a Lynch type configuration on any brass instrument.

Now Dr. Dave's "Wedge" pieces are a possibility. These seem to conform to the brass players lips the way a good mouthpiece should.

Conversely the Lynch seems a strange almost barbaric foreign concept to the chops. Like a rightie playing left handed golf clubs. Too obtuse.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually - NO they haven't produced an Asymmetric trombone piece. I have contemplated making one, ---- so far I am trying to use the mpc that it came with (OLDS 3) --- thinking that the trombone is to help condition the face muscles in the first place, and not necessarily to be a high note virtuoso.

In opposition to local357's opinion -- I found the Asymmetric mpc works for me, and helps support my lower lip, and it forced me to go to a 1/3 upper lip, 2/3 bottom lip position. I DONT BELIEVE THE MPC actually helps you get higher notes --- FOR THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however, I do drink a glass of water before I play my instruments -- but I can't determine if I am pushing against this in my stomach, BUT 15 minutes later, well I have to release some water --- so maybe it gets forced out through the system when I play!!!!!!!!!!

that is better than your forced GAS EPISODES --- yes, definitely sure of that!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    A full stomach requires a great deal of blood to aid in the digestion process, thus exercise after eating usually results in either muscle weakness and fatique (your system favors your stomach for blood delivery) or nausea and vomiting (your system favors your muscles for blood delivery).

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Dairy products work similar to expectorants causing mucus production to step up. This is why folk with bronchial illnesses or pneumonia should never consume dairy products until well. Notice sometimes that after a bowl of ice cream you may have to clear your throat a little while later. Not good if you are playing.:huh:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually the fatigue or sense of fatigue is the physiologic control of the autonomic nervous system converting to more cholinergic drive (and subduing the adrenalin tone). The cholinergic system is responsible for digestion and over takes the activity drive wing (fight or flight response). This more than any type or volume of food impact, has the most effect on that sense of fatigue and the other symptoms you describe, which yes I agree, is also related to the shunting of blood required for digestive processes and less for muscle function.