Playing on full/empty stomach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Jan 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Again, I agree as the mucus production is possible with dairy. I find therefore that cutting the dairy with Kahlua is a preventative measure that makes for a nice White Russian; and is a compromise I can live with. Daah!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Yeah...what he said....:-P

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And THIS is why we practice: so most of the essential things needed to play are habits and you don't have to think about what you are fighting on stage..............

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND if you let this thinking get in the way of performance, and practice has not cured this... well... we have drugs for that... assuming counseling fails.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    So I always hear on this site by the biggies that if your breathing correctly and if your not using too much pressure it takes little effort to play the trumpet. If this is the case you should be able to eat a good meal and your energy will go towards digesting your food in that you don’t need as much energy since your playing correctly ?? So which is it ? :dontknow: Just kidding here, I don’t like to eat before I play either…..

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I like to play with money in my wallet because I know that I can eat afterwards....... Does anyone NOT feel like this?

7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I am a fan of the old adage: "Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and a pauper for dinner". Granola with fruit and yogurt and some green tea for breakfast, lads, that will do it. And, invest in a water-pik and use it faitfully before practicing. That will lengthen the life of your horn.

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I've never felt like I needed something in my stomach to play, but if it helps you then thats a good thing !

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I feel exactly the same way, but head AFTERWARDS to the bar with our sax player were we choose rather liquid refreshment (nudge, nudge, a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat).

Actually, we really only have to pay for alcohol as most places we play pay for our meals. Is this not true for others out there.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so do you play on a full stomach -- or do you play for a full stomach???? you always confuse us with your posts!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

you drink afterwards -- but it is ambiguous as to when you eat!! ROFL ROFL ROFL