"playing on the "low" side of things"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beppe, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

And at this point I stop, because I have no idea what you are trying to talk about. Except for your Prager quote, which I am sure you know is pretty much his life motto.
    So I chalk up our stunning lack of clarity to the inadequacies of trying to converse via internet forum. If this same topic came up in person, I am sure we would have achieved picture perfect clarity within 5 minutes and be right back to discussing how much and why the Yankees suck. Good day to you sir.

Eb

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    "You never know what to believe"

When I was in college my teacher told me to play eighth notes short and sixteenth notes long. My teacher was a famous guy but my friends and I said, "who would do that?" and we played our own way. Years later I started studying with another famous guy and he said the same thing. I never got famous but both of these guys did. It was at that moment the imaginary light bulb over my head went on!!!

We need to learn from everybody that plays better then us. We need to learn from every experience. We need to not get caught up in our own thinking. Eric quotes from GR. because he plays their equipment and has blind faith in what they say. (Based on my life) Manny says what he does based on experience and some trial and error.

Eric, I don't know you at all except that I went to your web site and read and listened. If I could do it again I would be like a sponge and read everything and try everything. I wish I listened to Mr. Crisara when I was in college!!!!!!!!!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's fine, Eric. Thanks for the discussion even though we seemed to keep crossing wires. Maybe we'll get to chat someday at an ITG event or some such thing. Stay well.

ML

4. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

Word. You know I would venture to say I have read at least 90% of your nearly 5K posts on this website. You can count the times I’ve had an issue with something you’ve said on one hand. I just want you to know I don’t consider you to be on the extreme fringe of some radically un-mainstream trumpet playing and musical philosophy. Quite the opposite in fact.

And now for something completely different. Manny, have you heard of facebook.com? It is a social networking site a la myspace or friendster. And like myspace and friendster, it can easily become a bottomless black hole for one’s productivity. Its freaking addicting.

One of the features of facebook is groups. Basically, you can create a group of any kind, and then get people to join it. Like “Students Against Hippies†or “LPHS Band Alumni†or even “We really like cheeseâ€.

Tonight I stumbled on the following groups – “What Would Manny Say?†and “Hey, Remember that one time Manny was stung by a bee (MYS Alumni)â€

Here are some screenshots (you have to login to view anything on facebook)

http://www.ebtpt.com/aadump/temp images/manny1.JPG
    http://www.ebtpt.com/aadump/temp images/manny2.JPG
    http://www.ebtpt.com/aadump/temp images/manny3.JPG

Anyway its clear those kids admire you, and you give them their first amazing experiences in orchestra music. I respect this as much as everything you have achieved via trumpet. Whether they go on to a professional career in music or not, they will never forget what you do for them. I should know, 5 years ago I was 18 myself.
    till next time..

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for making me cry.

That was really nice of you to show me that. Thanks, Eric.

ML

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any of the skeptics out there should go to the following web site:
    http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/index_e.htm
    Click on research then on mouthpiece forms. You will then get a small dabbling of how very small changes in shape can change the intonation and playing characteristics of the mouthpiece. It is possible to correct for many of the "unnatural" things that we do when playing trumpet. Tension is one of them. Great players get the job done. Some of us will make an effort to find hardware that makes our job just a little easier. The differences are not subjective (ever heard of the "pivot" system? Why was it even necessary?). Ever had to use alternate fingerings to get your C trumpet in tune? Yes, you can get the job done with conventional equipment. There are technical shortcomings and manufacturers out there trying to solve them. Playing tense is not good AND very common. Mr. DM is one of those few that are making progress getting clients to relax!

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've looked at some of the articles on IWK and they seem to really know what they are talking about and researching.

8. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Albert Pujols rules.

9. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    My G's are sharp does that make me a bad person?

HD

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No, admitting they are sharp makes you a bad person.

-cw-