Playing other instruments.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Lately I've played the Euphonium a bit for a school ensemble. A bandmaster said "That's a bad move. It will ruin your tone bug my music teacher said "Playing with bigger mouthpieces can help increase tone, as its completely different as opposedto playing French horn cos its a similar size but different'.
    I've also noticed I thinky tone and range have improved recently. Coincidence?
    So what do you reckon on playing other instruments?

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have a friend who goes from Soprano Cornet (and he is one of the best in the biz) to trumpet his main instrument to Bb Bass and after afew minutes of adjustment his tone is always fine. I personally con go down as far as a Euph comfortably as long as I give myself a bit of adjustment time, a few minutes again. My real issue is switching from cornet to trumpet, I always over blow the trumpet for a while until I adjust but I personally don't worry as long as serious practice time is given to my main instrument.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Part of my studies in graduate school included a bit of study on other brass instruments. Tuba did not work. Bass trombone was a bit better, but it sounded like a Euphonium. Baritone was a better fit, and after playing any of the low brass instruments I could scream like crazy. French Horn helped my accuracy, but I played it like a trumpet player. Not pretty.

4. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I play sousaphone as well. It does wonders for breathing and endurance on the trumpet.
    My instructor says tuba/trumpet is a good combo.he cautioned my "Trombone Shorty" aspirations saying that he finds the combo more detrimental, at least in most cases. Shorty being the exception.

I find the Sousa very complimentary to the trumpet, and have seen no signs of it doing anything negative, especially when I want to play trumpet LOUD. Lol

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I found that I tended to change not my embouchure exactly, but certainly my set (along with tongue attack, dynamics etc) whenever I was covering a cornet part with trumpet or having to try and blend with cornets. Never perfect, and even when I got myself a cornet, I had to work at it to stop it sounding trumpetty. Also, among good trumpet players, I felt I could tell which of them had learnt their craft on the cornet, and can't remember ever guessing wrong.

Not as much difference as with the flugel (found that one a very strange fish indeed) but I'm firmly of the view that there's more difference in technique between trumpets and (besson-type) cornets than is generally acknowledged, and I'm much happier doubling bass trumpet and trombone to the other brass (including cornets).

6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I played with a top 40 band way back while in college playing 3-4 nights a week. I played trumpet, valve trombone and soprano saxophone for three years. I still had to perform classically on trumpet as well as play in the jazz ensemble. It didn't hurt me.

Pete

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The answer to your question has one name: the late Alex Melville. Apart from being one of the best friends and wiliest brass teachers you could possibly have, he was a cornet and trumpet player of some renown in the Brass Band world - I would back him against Phil McCann, James Shepherd, and whomever you might name, and he would be at least equally good, apart from being a wonderful, gentlemanly personality. He once was playing Solo Euphonium in a major contest in the UK, won the contest title with his band and "best euphonium section", and then went on to win the "Player of the Contest" and "Best Soloist" awards on cornet - the very same day!
    His views on the question were (and I quote more or less verbatim): "If ye're after playing twa brass instruments, let the one be a wee one and th'ither a rale monster." (He was a Scot born and bred...)

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Trumpet and saxphone in one person - you're a musical atheist!

9. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    What about cornet and sax in one person?

10. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Originally I came from bass trombone, worked mself up to flugel, then trumpet.
    Trumpet and bone are doable even if the embouchure suffers a bit on each.

Well, the trumpet(s) surely get(s) more practice and playing time on a regular basis.