Playing other instruments.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, IMO, doubling on French horn and trumpet/cornet is a "killer" of good tone in both. I fought the FH my first year in brass and that year has been gone ever since. For the rare horn parts I now play a marching F mellophone (not quite the same sound, but doable). Still, other than trumpet/cornet and just recently flugelhorn, I've no problem doubling with euphonium and occasional tuba.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Sometimes, it's not the band director who selects the music, but the school board...

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ole KT here found the trombone to be very beneficial in the breathing and air support when playing trumpet. I play both trumpet and trombone in concert band. The key for me was to work the trom into my practices a little at s time as the trom has it's own embouchure that is different from the trumpet. ----- 3 months is what it took me to get good tone out of the trom ---- now 2 yrs later I can switch on the fly between both instruments. ------- of course for that crazy drummer guy (Trickg) - the trombone didn't help my rhythm ---- but old friend if your putting up a HIGH A challenge vid anytime soon - I'm in to win -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    I know this band director very well and he chooses the music. Realize this is my only disagreement with him. The leadership and citizenship he teaches his band kids is outstanding, and his bands sound very good.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hammond B3 Organ. Started out on the Hammond B3. It really developed a working concept of chords and scales that I still visualize when I play improvisation on the trumpet.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, here in the US that is mostly the circumstance, albeit some few band directors do dig in their own wallets ... as do the student players.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How do you thing the word "board" is in their description?

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In Austria, we have the expression "to have a board before the head" meaninhg being what the Irish would call a "tootal eeejit". Did you mean that board?

9. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Playing other instruments? Hmmm... (takes a look around the spare room/music room/ aka "man cave")

1) Artley flute (my daughters old school band flute, which I learned to play)
    2) Bundy clarinet (my other daughters old school band clarinet, which I also learned to play, but I squeak a little)
    3) FE Olds marching Mellophone (my daughter (#1 above) semi-pro musician, music teacher, etc...) bought it from a school she teaches at and had it cleaned up. Weird instrument in the key of F but plays with regular trumpet fingerings. It's odd... it's not like a trumpet, it's not like a euphonium, it's kind of in between, like a VERY LOUD french horn
    4) My old Conn Director trombone
    5) My Yamaha 12string acoustic guitar
    6) My Ibanez mandolin
    7) My grandmother's old, heirloom, violin from the early 1910's (she was a concert violinist in NY City way back in the day)
    8) My Samick 4 string electric bass
    9) My Fender Stratocaster electric guitar
    10) Misc (sitting on bookshelf next to guitar amp): C harmonica, kazoo, and a cheap plastic recorder in C
    11) My faithful old Holton Collegiate trumpet
    12) My silver pocket trumpet made by Jean Baptiste (i.e. Sam Ash music store brand)

....not in music room....
    13) My daughters (the music teacher) $5000 wickedly expensive, top notch, professional french horn (which she won't let me play!)
    14) Our (both daughters & myself - wife doesn't play music) Yamaha 76-key electronic keyboard/synth/workstation
    15) My daughters (the music teacher) Takamine 6 string acoustic guitar

Peter McNeill likes this.
  10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I always thought of euphonium and trumpet as belonging to the same instrument genus or family (as a rabbit skeleton can be related to a human one, for example) and so my other instruments (families) (which I play much more poorly than trumpet) would be piano and tin whistle. I am really impressed by people who can play guitar which I've tried a number of times but so far just can't get to grips with. I never thought about playing strings or woodwind.

--bumblebee