Playing out of the Side of my mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mud, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay, I've brought this up with many good trumpet players and band directors-- people that know what they are doing. Some people notice I play out of the side of my mouth, others don't some people say that I should change where I put my mouthpiece-- yes, I know 'technically' im supposed to play in the center, but for some unknown reason, I really can't, and naturally, it falls to the right side (slightly extreme).

I ask about it every now and then-- EVERYONE has a different answer. Some people say i should try to change it, and that if I don't, I won't be able to play high, It will ruin my lips perminantly, I won't be allowed to join drum and bugle corps etc. Some people say that it is fine as it is, and that I shouldnt change it for the vary same reasons stated above. I am so confused, because I don't know what I should do--- Do I change it, or not? mind you, I have been playing this way for over 5 years, and changing it is like trying to write in cursive with your non-dominant hand. Also, I'm in marching band, when school starts I will be in Normal band, jazz band, and I will probably audition for Show choir band (im in a lot of bands). What Do I do? I just want this question solved so I can put it behind me, and fix any damage before I cant fix anything....

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is a myth.

Yet another myth.

Do you have a good private teacher? And if so, what does he/she think about your embouchure?

Mike

3. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't have a tutor... I wish I did...

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Personally, I play slightly off-center, because of the layout of my teeth. Many others also play off-center. Playing off-center, in and of itself, is not a reason to make a change.

If it's possible, it might help to take a couple lessons this summer.

Mike

5. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    yeah. I've been looking for some source of income so I can pay for lessons. We are a tad tight on money. as for my mouthpiece positioning, if my head were to be facing directly forward ( i usually turn my head to the left to compensate, so my trumpet is straight forward) its about 40 degrees off.

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    IS PLACING THE MOUTHPIECE OFF TO SIDE OKAY ?

" If it isn't, most great players play wrong. You should place the mouthpiece in the position where you get the best vibration, and if this is a little off to the side, as it is with most players, then it would be wrong to place it right in the center. How high or low you place the mouthpiece does matter. Whether it is off to the side or in the center doesn't."
    Bill Knevitt

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    all through school -- I played offside -- extreme left. I suppose there was no REAL reason why I did it -- it just happened. At some point (11th grade) after playing that way for like 7 years -- I noticed that the higher range (at that time, above the staff up to the high C -- only like 4 notes) was difficult to control, and NOT resonant. Also flexibility on faster music was waning. (I practiced about an hour a day in high school) --
    I will say that I "repositioned" the mpc to the center of the lips, and it turned out much better FOR ME. I will say if you CHOOSE to "center" your mpc, it is an AWFULLY FRUSTRATING AND DIFFICULT 1 YEAR JOURNEY. (it was for me back then) -- I sat out the senior year of high school as result, it was like starting all over ---- MY ASSESSMENT (FOR ME) was that in following years, I was more satisfied with my trumpet playing -- and here 30 years later -- I AM GLAD THAT I RE-CENTERED THE MPC. and that is my story!!!!!!

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    No big deal, unless you make it one. Practice, practice, practice and you will improve.

9. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    okay. I dont think I will change my embrochure. Thanks, guys!

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I used to play WAY off to the left, but then I started playing in the center and it worked out fine without too manyproblems. Then my embouchure gradually moved off to the left again somewhat, but not as much as it was before.... so it sort of worked.

If you have time off of gigs ever, you could consider experimenting a bit.... chances are it won't help any, in which case you'd just go back to your original position. I know one player who tried that and it ended up being useless (he couldn't even play a C in the staff for months... then he finally just moved back to his original mouthpiece position).