Playing outside

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    I have been playing in my garden quite a lot recently and was just wondering if this could cause any bad habits to occur. My tone definitely sounds different when I'm outdoors, probably a little better :S

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I prefer good sounding rooms as the ears get as much training as the chops if we are practicing correctly. We do not hear as well outdoors.

3. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    At first glance, I thought you meant playing outside in a jazz sense of the term :) Seriously, I have trouble playing outside. I really have problems if it is hot and humid out. I don't know about any long term effects, but I just know that it is a struggle yearly when I have a dozen or so outside gigs to contend with yearly...I just try to drink a lot of water and avoid direct sunlight!!!

4. abntrptr

abntrptr New Friend

Aug 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am an Army Bandsman and much of my playing is outside.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    As my silver trumpet yellowed in the sun
    I had a revelation: Trumpet playing is FUN!

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I just love playing outside. Most of those pesky dynamics signs disappear in the bright daylight. But seriously, foulks, what difference does it make if you enjoy the gig. I like the sound of the wide open spaces as long as the cops arent pulling up the driveway. best wishes.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I play outside here, it blends in with the geese and the neighbor's donkey.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The danger in playing outdoors is that we might play too loudly for our own good trying to get that feedback walls provide. Strive for a compact sound and tune in to the smallest amount of feedback. Should be ok then.

9. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    I don't enjoy outside gigs, I often over blow because of lack of feedback and it is very tiring on my lip.

The proof: I was pretty tired after a brass quintet gig of 1 hour outside. We had a rehearsal yesterday, I got through 2 hours and it felt like my lip did at the half-way stage of the outside gig. We practised inside. Anyway, this is something I am working on - thanks for the advice to tune into even a small amount of feedback and to work with a compact sound. This is what I will be doing. Perhaps playing into the stand a bit will help too.

Mike

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Do the animals, birds and other creatures enjoy your outdoor playing? How about the neighbors?

Best wishes,

Lloyd