Playing outside

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    At least when I play outside, I have problems hearing myself and thus Ihave some intonation difficulties. I used to play and sing in bluegrass bands. They wear hats a lot and noticed that, with a hat (with a brim). Since then, when I can get away with it I wear a big hat when I play outdoors.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But your sig. says it is a collegiate not a revelation!!ROFL

[​IMG]
    Holton Revelation

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Oh, this was another trumpet I had in the past. I dunno if they yellow if they have lacquer on them but this one did not. I was selling all I had at a swapmeet and since this present Depression had started, people were NOT buying. I was bored, and picked up the trumpet and started messing around, playing this one thing my Dad had had on one of his records, done on synthesizer no less..... well, someone said it was Miles Davis, part of Sketches of Spain. People liked it. In the middle of the sadness of selling all I could not carry on my back, seeing a once-thriving swapmeet at maybe 10% of its former vigor, and getting $50 (after expenses) out of stuff I honestly thought would bring closer to $500. I was reminded of why ones plays an instrument in the first place, because it's fun and in the middle of Depression and despair, it brings some happiness.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Playing outside is great! I do it at least once a week (weather permitting).
    Listening to the sound echo around is really cool.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I've played for donkeys, tough crowd.

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I love playing outside. When I'm at my mother in-law's place in rural Mexico I love sitting on the front porch and hearing my sound echo off the hillsides. Drives the burros crazy though (see above).

I asked a Cuban player once how come such a small island has produced so many incredible trumpet players? His reply that they have very poor facilities in Cuba so they'll practice outside, a teacher will say stuff like, see that building a half mile away over there? Bounce your sound off of that. FWIW.

7. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    That reminds me of a story I once read about a famous operatic tenor (I can't remember which) whose favorite method of practice was going to the beach and singing at the ocean. Compared with that acoustic challenge a symphony orchestra is a cinch.

The method you mentioned from Cuba obviously works just as well. Among my favorite CDs in my collection is a Latin jazz compilation, and those cats can really wail!

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    An issue that comes up for me when I have played outside is the lack of acoustic feedback that is available in indoor rooms. I sound different to my own ears and mind outside. I prefer the small amount of reverberation and feedback that interior walls provide, and playing outside removes that feedback.

So, what I have tried to watch out for is to not try somehow to compensate in the actual physical approach to playing the horn. In other words, not to get louder or do something to make up for not being able to benefit from the acoustic feedback that occurs inside. I try to play the same way outside as inside, and accept the difference my perception of the sound.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  9. mdunn

mdunn New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    I chase the deer out of my wifes gardens with my trombone.
    (course I chase most living creatures away with my trombone):cool:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    When I asked my cousin if I could play once in a while in his recording studio (quite large space) so that I could really open it up and play LOUDLY, he suggested I go into the woods and play into a hillside. :-?

He's a real professional musician who knows I'll get feedback (positive waves) by playing into something solid, whereas if I try it in his studio .... Hmm. What do you think he's trying to tell me??? (hint: I've only been playing the trumpet a few months). :lol:

T