playing 'p' and 'pp' tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kamyar, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Kamyar

Kamyar New Friend

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi All,

How is it possible to improve and be mastered in playing 'p' and 'pp' tones?
    Any certain practice or etude in order to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Kamyar

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Long Tones, Clarke Technical Studies

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I mastered playing my pp in my youth. But my mother caught me and slapped me silly!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously, it takes a lot of breath for me to play pp. That sounds like a polar opposite to playing extra soft, but it takes a lot of support behind the breath steam to maintain a steady air flow at such a low volume while keeping your aperture open.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    As jiarby said - Long Tones. You'll develop focus. Not a bad thing to learn.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Practice long tones starting at mf or mp and taper down to nothing. Towards the end the note will feel "trapped in the bell" and would rate maybe a pppp at the end. When you get the hang of that, try starting notes at that same dynamic and holding them there.

Have fun!

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You "masted" it? Freudian slip? :cool:

Mike

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    More seriously ... google "sotto voce nick drozdoff". Nick has some helpful videos on playing very soft using long tones and Clarke Technical Studies.

Mike

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing softly requires an extended period of practicing softly. The problem with many players is that they use a great deal of tension and force. To compensate for that, they use a very powerful attack when tonguing to "ignite" the lips. The lips learn to react only when forced to!

When we start to learn to play with less tension, it is useful to simply exhale into the mouthpiece with no attack for long tones. After a while, our sound "ignites" even with a small amount of air passing through the lips. Inhale exhale when that works smoothly without the horn, we can add the instrument and do the same. NO TONGUING! Once we have ignition at very low pressure, we reteach ourselves to articulate with very small and light tongue movement. It can take weeks to months before our exhale tone becomes reliable! The benefits are incredible.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ooops. Thanks for the grammar consult Doctor!:thumbsup: