Playing part time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Feb 12, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am a part time player and kind of a come back player. I play better now then when I was a full time player.

I play so much now that it is interfering with my full time job. When I pick up the trumpet I don't want to stop. I have started taking jobs during the day and skipping out on my real job.

Do any of you other part timers have this problem?

There is going to be a time when I will have to cut back on my playing and then the downward slide will start again :cry:

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Sounds like it may be time to change careers! Either that, or go to part time work and full time music.

Yes, I can see myself getting to the point where you are within the next couple of years. However, I have a real flexible day job that allows me a lot of freedom. Have you thought about setting up a regular gig? Say, a show at a lounge on a specific day and time that would work with your day job?

3. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    hey, that's great you love to play so much! i don't know you so i don't mean to sound like i do but if you really love playing the trumpet so much and its interfereing with your current job, maybe you should re-think what you really want to do. the question is would you rather play trumpet the rest of your life or stick with this career of yours? i think we all should do what we love even if you don't get the kind of paycheck you get at some other careers. at least your happy right? i bet half of the richest people in the world are far more miserable then any musican out there because musicians do what they love best...making music. it is just a simple thought or suggestion, i don't mean to sound ignorant or imposing because i do not know your full situation so please don't take it that way. good luck!

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    B- Yeah, man, I hear ya. Sometimes I get bit lost, as well. Especially on days when kids have testing or field trips. Just make a careful schedule and stick to it. Sometimes I have to almost yell at the horn and say "Get back in that case and stop staring at me like that!"

And remember what it is that puts the food on your table and the roof over your head.

If all that fails, then, by gosh go take some auditions.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    We're having a blizzard today so my church gig was cancelled, but guess what?

I get to play all day!

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am in total agreeance of doing what you love. But it it will interfere with, say, a family and you relying on your career paycheck to support them? Then I say be very careful with what you decide to do. You have to be completely honest with your self and be able to tell yourself that you can make enough money as a player.

I say this of course, assuming you have a family. But I still stand by what I said in terms of being sure you have what it takes to be a performer. Otherwise, what is wrong with playing part time? I have many friends who play part time and they love it more than if they were a professional player. They also have leniant jobs that every now and then will alllow them to skip a day to perform. (They just write it off as public relations - for the Military) :cool:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Eric
    ps - I have to ask: what is that funny little trumpet in you display picture? is it just a regular piccolo?

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It is interesting how people perceive what I wrote. I wasn't asking if I should go pro. I was just talking in general how much time I am taking to play.

Eric,

That funny little trumpet is a Monette piccolo trumpet. I took the picture from their web site.

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey,

Ya sorry I did get a little off track there. I think I was more replying to those who wrote opinions on re-thinking your occupation.

Sorry bout that :D