playing /practicing SOFTLY

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 14, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I noticed that when I practice and start out in my mind to play sometime like Clarke study no.2 pp I always seem to get louder .I also start playing music softly and then by the end of the piece again loud .How do I keep it pp or ppp like H.L. Clarke wants it ??? :-?Thanks Anthony

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    IMHO it'd be a matter of focus and concentration. Nothing more to it than that...not that that's super easy.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I would hazard a guess that there is an app for that...if you have a smart phone. It won't solve it for you, but a decibel app could be a tool to monitor yourself.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The Yamaha Practice Mute with direct monitors to your ears are a very good tool for practice and getting good focus on how loud you are playing. The other option is to play thru a microphone connected to a studio with a graphic monitor. Decibels are measured. If there is a decibel
    App that would be nice.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Save the money on the practice mute. Stop playing louder. You can control this. Practicing loud is a symptom you are loosing control. Stay in control... at all times, and you will be one heck of a trumpet player.

6. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Anthony, as I see it you have two options: (1) Learn to control what you do as Herbert L. Clarke, Max Schlossberg, ad nauseum would tell you to do and BUILD a killer set of chops ... or ... go back to number (1). Watch the YouTubes of Allen Vizzutti playing Clarke No. 2 under control ... softly and with lightning speed! Then YouTube his playing of "Road Father" from 1977 (this is what you BUILD by playing softly! I'll never forget Hermie Shears advice to me at a Woody Herman Thundering Herd Concert way back in 1976 when I asked him about building range. Hermie was the Lead trumpet Player before Vizzutti and graduated from Julliard or Eastman (can't remember which). Hermie told me to play Schlossberg SOFTLY.

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Totally true, although much easier said than done. :) Good luck!

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I try to do Clarke and Schlossberg by making the sound almost disappear, just on the edge of a whisper. When I don't and I let it go out of control, I have to reset or I'm done for the day. It's helped me a lot.

ed

9. gabe

gabe New Friend

Jun 5, 2012
    Concentration is the key here. Today while doing my daily Schlossberg and Concone,I found it helped me, to pull my eyebrows up and back (like a surprised facial expression) while playing, to get a more focused and supported sound within the p to ppp dynamic range and it helped me concentrate on what I was doing. Give it a try and let me know what it does for you. Maybe I have "self discovered" something you all already know?? :)

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi Anthony,

I always have to remind my students that faster or higher doesn't mean louder,it means just faster or higher. Once this is ingrained in your brain,staying at a pp or ppp shouldn't continue to be a problem.