playing /practicing SOFTLY

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 14, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wait a minute -- I read on another post that GM was at a convention and not available -- and then I started the following rumor (rumour)

GM must be on suspension for conduct unbecoming a medical professional and/or not displaying behavior (behaviour) conducive to his continual participation in TM on a regular uninterrupted basis ---- meaning, that I think GM did something wrong and probably got a 2 week suspension ---- well that is the rumour (rumor) I started --- and I can't verify is validity, or it's accuracy at this point!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Anthony,

Practicing softly is a very good thing to do for many reasons -- chops, neighbors, etc. =:-) But I think the main benefit is that in order to play serious material correctly at low volume, one's breathing, posture, embouchure, and general support system ALL have to be working properly in order to do it. That means that if you can spend at least some of your practice time practicing material like the Clarke softly, and correctly, you pretty much have to be doing all of the fundamental things that we need to do correctly.

I recommend to all of my students that they spend time practicing softly, as I also recommend that they spend time practicing s-l-o-w-l-y.....

bigtiny

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    another thing about when you get consistent ---SOFT practicing, be aware that the opposite will be true -- -you will start playing everything at ppp soft, and consistent, and then when you have to adjust for dynamics, you are likely to not do it.

so when you get consistency (concentration, decibel meters and such) be sure to also --- play musically, and ALL the dynamics, find pieces that are ppp, then mf, and ff --- and do that consistently also.