Playing really flat..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dani021, Jun 16, 2010.

1. dani021

dani021 Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Sweden
    All the sudden, maybe five or six months ago my trumpet started giving up. Yeah, I got alot of problems with the trumpet, but now it has affected my chops as well. I've tried this with different trumpets, so now it's my chops that are giving up.
    I play in tune on all notes. Except D and Eb in the second octave. (D2, Eb2)...
    I play really really flat. The D is just a bit flat and I can adjust it. But the Eb is impossible. More air, trying to bend up.. nothing works. False fingering is the closest I can get. Why is this? Eb is more than a quarter note flat.

Gah.. Anyone else got this problem?

Bless,
    Daniel

2. SteveMac

SteveMac New Friend

May 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. M Altieri

M Altieri New Friend

May 23, 2010
    Deltona, FL
    Sounds like a valve problem or a leak. See if the valves are lining up and check the third valve slide. Maybe you have a leak in the spit valve cork.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Eb uses valve #2, so the third valve slide isn't the culprit. How far out is your main tuning slide? What else changed 6 months ago (with the trumpet)?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  5. M Altieri

M Altieri New Friend

May 23, 2010
    Deltona, FL
    Yep buddy, you're right. Didn't read the email correctly. Missed that it was Eb above high C.

6. dani021

dani021 Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Sweden
    I'm using yamaha custom 14B4 as mouthpiece. Well, my playing started changing a bit.. Hard to describe but I started playing more 8th and 16th-notes and bigger intervalls when I improvised. But At the same time I sent my trumpet for repair.. They were gonna fix 1st and 2nd valve, cause they get stuck and I hear a mechanical bad sound from the valves. They said they fixed it.. it was some kind of kalk-belagring.. don't know the english word. but.. the problem got back.. and they fixed two leaks from the cork-things.. but... my valves are still really bad. no idea what's wrong.