Playing really sharp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hichez, Aug 12, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need some local help. If your playing is so twisted that the tuning slide needs to be pulled out way more than normal, somebody needs to look at your face and breathing in a serious way.
    It is interesting to know to play relaxed and stuff about how this all works, but if you got into this mess, you need the way out and that means a teacher.

I too think that this has to do with the braces. To prevent pain, you have most likely learned a less productive way to play trumpet. That leads to problems in tone production and tuning. It is possible to play well with braces.

2. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    For my first year of intense study (that is what I call my comeback) I was sharp 20 or 30 cents on most notes. I spent some time actively trying bring the notes down but ended up overblowing and being very inefficient. After a year and a half or so, the problem corrected itself. I have generally good control of my pitch now although I have problems keeping notes centered beginning with F at the top of the staff (they go sharp).

Usually the main tuning slide is out about a cm.

That was my experience anyways, ymmv.