playing really well.....with a mute

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gregc, May 4, 2007.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Help me make sense of this, if you can. Tonight, I played late. Since we have in house/ stay over visitors this week, I used a Soto Voce mute. For some reaaon it added about 2 whole steps to my comfort range, I could articulate nice up high and I played ~2/3 of the Hummel better than ever before. The parts I usually struggle with were real do-able. There's gotta be a lesson here. Resistance? Use of air? I must be close to finding something (?) Can you helpe me make some good sense with this? If I can play like this with the mute out I will be a happy camper....... for a while, he he he .
    Thanks,

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    It's probably a combination of things. Resistance could be part if it, you could also have been having a good day, and would have had similar results, without the mute. There could also be a mental aspect to it, that playing with the mute freed you from trying to play with the "perfect" sound, and so you were just a little looser than normal. You should try again with the mute and see if you get the same results, and if you do, take the mute out and see what it sounds like and compares to what you normally sound like. Just a couple of thoughts, hope it helps

adam

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The lesson is in the balance of pressure in front of and behind the lips.
    If the pressure is about the same, the AIR supports the lips and the amount of work needed to "create" sound is reduced. The mute increased the backpressure from the horn and helped you play with less effort.
    This is also why I don't think bored out throats are generally a good thing. It seems like an easier blow, but in most cases that I have experienced, the lip support from the horn/mouthpiece side is greatly reduced (as is also the slotting)!

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Thanks to both of you for some good thoughts and ideas. I think a lot of whay you both say is 'in play'. It's a good thing. I'm learning. I'm getting better.