Playing relaxed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- I have evolved a bit in my playing style (especially on my Bb, a Lawler). I can really relax quite a bit on it and still maintain a good amount of energy in the sound. I am really liking that. But when I switch to my C (a Yamaha) (same mouthpiece...Bach 1c) I find that I drop partials playing the same relaxed manner as my Bb (especially around D, E and F on top of the staff). It feels like I can't relax on those pitches at all, and as a result they sound (to me) a bit pinchy...not the open warm quality that I want. As a result, I sound a tad sharp there. Any suggestions?

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Glenn,

Sorry to step in before Manny on this one, but I'll forget if I don't post it right now. You might enjoy an idea that Alex brought up in a post called Stuffy Notes on a Specific Partial. I've had very good success carrying that "relaxed" quality through this break (on the specific note that you mention). You might find the ideas in this link helpful.

Good luck!

3. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    Trptr 1, I am not sure what "school" of trumpet your min set comes from, but I used to have the exact same issue as you. I have been studying for about three years under a guy who is probably Mr. Adam's foremst student as far as teaching is concerned. When we began to work on C trumpet things I noticed the same issues: difference in intonation patterns, tight almost forced sound; certainly not the open sound I am used to (Everyone in our studio comments on how open and relaxed my sound is). One day my instructor had me "blow pipe" on my C trumpet. It sounded terrible. Lo and behold, there was the issue. After about a month of blowing pipe on C trumpet the pipe sounded great, and so did the trumpet.
    Try this:
    Take the tuning slide out of your C. Think of the most beautiful sound you can possibly image (part Manny part Renee Fleming for me) and let it come out. If it doesn't happen the first time don't judge yourself and just get your head back on that beautiful sound. Eventually it will happen. My C trumpet pipe comes out between a F# and a G, but it is a reversed pipe so this might influence it. Also, keep your head focused on that beautiful resonant sound, not on the pitch. If the sound is there the pitch will follow.
    Hope this helps.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Glenn,

I'm going to keep my remarks, at first, very general and let you kind of find your own way with them because this is a common problem and easy to solve but I also believe that there is a personal way each of us deals with it.

My experience with this challenge of gettting "stuck" has to do with mouthpieces "sticking" to the lips at the point that the vibrations need to ring most. I suggest that you think of finding a balance of air and pressure against the lips. As you ascend, let the lips stay loose and flexible and replace the pressure with an increase of energy and wind. It's not a question of employing some "no-pressure" method. It's a question of maintaining the balance you have in the lower/middle register as you ascend and go all over the horn.

I don't want to say more than that right now, amigo. See where it takes you.

ML

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thanks, guys.

Wax on, wax off, right? Paint fence. I had better get busy!

6. Umyoguy

Umyoguy New Friend

Feb 1, 2005
    Kalamazoo
    Am I the only one who thinks tpter1's avatar looks like a bum playing a flute?

Jon

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL. Aw geez Umy, you just reduced a wizard and a sword to a bum and a flute! Thanks...... (just kidding....that was pretty funny)

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gee.... I've never seen a bum-playing fl... oh, wait a minute...never mind.

ML

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Glenn wrote:
    Buy a Lawler C trumpet!! :thumbsup:

-cw-

10. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Wow! I just saw what the avatar really was! All of this time I had thought it was a photo of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. :-o