Playing Semiquavers Evenly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A2hok, Sep 2, 2008.

1. A2hok

A2hok New Friend

May 22, 2008
    Cambridge - UK
    Hi guys,

At the moment I'm playing this piece with a section of fast, slurred semiquavers continuosly. When playing my semiquavers seemed to get shortened or lengthened quite alot.

Any tips on how to play them evenly?

btw this happens in alot of my playing.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Start slow and even ,then slowly work it up to tempo.

3. A2hok

A2hok New Friend

May 22, 2008
    Cambridge - UK
    Is there a stage when its too late to do that. Thats how I started learning the piece but its been like 6 months and my fingers seem to get carried away. But thanks, I will try and slow it down, and speed it up again.

And another thing, anybody have any difficulty playing with a metrenome. I play in many bands, but for some reason everytime I'm practicing with a metrenome, I automatically ignore it. I just can't play with the thing!

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Here is how I do it as I don't think anyone can actually count in semi quavers at a high speed.
    I use a mnemonic to keep the notes more even.

Triplets - straw-be-rry
    Semiquavers - wa-ter-me-lon

This might seem a bit crude but it works for me.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Make sure you BANG DOWN THE VALVES, its really important ,it forces you to play each note very delibert and even,good luck. As far as the metronome its like recording using a click track, you hate it but get used to it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    start slow, with a metronome and STAY slow. Do not gradually get faster. Perfect slow and then JUMP to much faster, perfect that and then jump again. Why?

For your brain it makes NO difference if you are moving fast or slow. Shooting for a bit faster every day just keeps you on the edge of what doesn't work. It is also not enough incentive to PERFECT the habit. Practice at quarter= 66 or so. Do this for 2 weeks. then "jump" to quarter=100, keep that for 3 weeks, then jump to quarter = 132........... You get the message!

Habits are what makes playing reliable and consistent. Build habits. You are not on a race track where you HAVE to have better lap times each day. Think of yourself more as a surgeon learning how to operate. There are no prizes for fast incisions - there are for patients that heal quickly because of a job well done. Habits, nothing but habits!

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Have a look at my post at the thread "Tonking it out".
    May be you will get a few ideas there too :-)

I understand your "problem" very well.
    I hate fast semi quavers.
    I "stare my eyes blind", loose focus and crashes.
    That's the reason why I most of the time play flugel in a BS brass band :thumbsup:

(What piece is trying to make you mad?)

8. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    I faced this problem before, find a specific note to aim for, preferably the focal point of a phrase, and aim for that note, it helped me anyway.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I had this problem with "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" - yes not too fast, but ....
    .... as I focussed on the articulation, while carrying an 'image of the sound' of the music in my head, the individual notes "disappeared" and the articulation became a snap. This same effect occurred with "Londonderry Aire" and the solution came again when I focussed on the slurs, tonguing, the articulation the little black bits simply melted into my subconscious. Does that make any sense at all? I might have just lost the plot?:shock: