playing sharper the higher i play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I seem to be very intune from bottom C to middle E/F sorta range but after that everything seems to go really really sharp, I have tested it out on a tuner and it says i am very sharp, when i get upto top C it can sometimes read as a very flat C# i cant seem to fix this, ive been playing long high notes with the tuner to try and help but it hasent really worked much, any advice?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Too-small mouthpiece, too much tension in the embouchure, and pinching the notes are a few causes of a sharp upper register. Playing with enough practice to make the upper register less of a strain, which will allow you to play more relaxed, will help. Proper playing technique and familiarity up high is the ticket.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Brass instruments normally play sharp on high notes, you can counter this by relaxing, or by using valve slides

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is not true. Never was, never will be. If anything the instruments themselves are FLAT the higher you go. That is why things like the pivot system became popular.

Less mature players use tension because it gets results. It is a comprimise but offers at least an ability to get through.

The real solution is to get your breathing together, get a functional daily routine and learn to play with minimal tension. That is most easily accomplished with a decent teacher. Other than that, you need an extreme amount of luck.

There are tons of players offering sure fire methods out there. They are more fire than sure. If you don't know any better, it is easy to get off of a decent track. Find some local help.

5. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Sorry, I was told that the other day by my band conductor, although he might have been referring to the people around the level that play in that band.

6. BandOfTrumpets

BandOfTrumpets New Friend

Aug 30, 2009
    It is not uncommon for trumpets to get sharper in the upper register. It is best to relax your mouth when you play. If you can't reach the higher notes when your mouth is relaxed, then keep practicing to re-build your range....Playing sharper is usually caused by "squeezing" the note out, or one of the other reasons mentioned by Dale Proctor.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is common for PLAYERS to play sharper. It is not the horn.

8. bdeep787

bdeep787 New Friend

Feb 29, 2008
    NYC
    Think about air support. When air is deficient, over compensation by pinching can occur. You will probably get the note but will be on the "high" side of the pitch and the sound. I've found some of Jimmy Stamp's exercises great for addressing this issue.
    Peace-
    B

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    cheers for the quick replies guys, I have just left college and habent really had a teacher for abot 6/7 months which really hasent helped my playing, but i still play pritty much everyday for a good few hours with a decient practice routen and im hopeing to get a teacher sorted out when i start uni in a few weeks time :)

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Two things:

One,
    You're using more tension as you play higher.

Two,
    It could be your mouthpiece is too small or resistive.

Look into both of these things.