Playing Shows-daily endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skuni, Sep 27, 2007.

1. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I am playing Les Miserables this week on the lead book for the first time. I haven't played a show in a few years. What are some suggestions for recouping for the next show? Also, I have to play 2 shows a day. any guidance would be helpful,

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    There is an article online somewhere which I believe I got from this site located on the LivMusic site, maybe search google for "Trumpet Studio" or something.

LivMusic Home (Trumpet Studio) is the link, I think.

Anyway, the artist there talks about when he first played with the Chicago Symphony, or something like that, and its a grueling program he had, with the same sort of issues as I think you're facing. It's worth a shot to at least look around and see what's available there if you haven't already. Besides, reading never hurt anyone.

3. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Gallons & Gallons of water!:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

4. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    What kind of warm-up do you suggest? My normal routine is Stamp followed by some Bai Lin flexiblities, then some range extension. Thanks!

5. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I'd recommend long tones, but nothing more than low C to low F# and then stop playing altogether and just blow slow, warm air into the instrument to keep it warm.

Save whatever you can, haha.

6. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I totally agree with Tony. Water, water. Keep those lips massaged and hydrated. Personally, I use a light, moisturizing lotion that absorbs into the lips. Arturo says to end the day with 2 Coronas...haha. I tend to agree...;-) (the carbonation on the lips is magical...:D )

As for what to warm up or play outside the show... I can only speak for myself and what helps me. Breath attacks (which reigns back any aperture spread...you can't do those successfully if your lips are far apart...plus, it gets you using air support immediately)...and some work to help loosen up the low register. If that is rich and vibrant...then all else will work fine. I also am lately finding the spit buzz to be a good indicator also. If I get that more comfortable and reliable...I am good to go. I might also suggest to do some of this light work say - a few minutes in the morning, then a little bit more around mid day...all slowly building up to the evening show.

We all know folks who do all kinds of lips slurs and arpeggios..all kinds of things all over the horn. For me...that just isn't necessary. Some of this depends on the intensity of the show. On some, I can and do enjoy a practice session on days with just one show. On the 2 show days.. just the light warm up.

I am in the beginning of an 8 show a week, month long run...I know what you are going through. I have been playing a ton for a pretty good while, so this feels really good. Having a ball.

Best of luck to you. Hope you have a great time!!! Enjoy!

7. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Brad that was what I was looking for!

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Cool down as well as warm up. A cool down can be just as important to the next perforamce as a warm up does (if not more important) If you'e blowing lead for a whole show, take the time at the end to play very quiet low tones, lip flexibilities etc. Sort of a warm up only quieter. This helps take the stiffness out of the lips a little. You'll totally notice a difference the next day. All it takes is the discipline to stay after and cool down (even though playing your horn is probably the last thing you want to do).

Its just like working out. You warm up, stretch etc then at the end you cool down with stretches etc.

E.

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Steve,

I'm doing a lot of subbing on a local production of Les Mis. I don't know what your book looks like, but my book is 110 pages long and about half of it is flugel with bucket mute (to sound like a french horn)! I have mostly done evening performances with the occasional double. Fortunately they wrote out the picc part, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

I was really worried about endurance before my first show. To be completely honest, I found that there is so much weird counting in the book that I really didn't have time to think about getting tired, so for the most part I didn't. The extended flugel parts also helped me rest my lips during the show. I don't know if you'll have that advantage, though. I don't know if it's superstition or if it actually helps, but I drink Smart Water during the show.

Even though it's long, Les Mis is not a show where you really need to go to the maximum dynamic levels. FF is FF, not FFFF. Same with the softs. There are only a couple of places in the book where you need to play really soft, and some of them are muted, which helps. If you're playing into a microphone, the sound guy will have the responsibility of making sure the mix is good. Just play at a comfortable level and he should make sure everything is balanced (in the pit I play in, it's nearly impossible to hear everyone else, especially the keyboards, so you really have to trust the sound guy).

Good luck!
    Jimi

10. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I just finished "Chicago" and found that if I warmed up nice and slow in the morning, lots of long tones and clarke studies, I felt much better during the day. Also, I cannot agree enough with warming down. Get some blood back in those lips at the end of the gig. I had one day I did a Brass Quintet gig in the morning and then a 3oclock and an 8oclock show the day after an 8 oclock show.

Its been said, but water is great. I also had a banana when I could to get some vitamins in my system. Also, chopsaver at night before going to bed was wonderful. Good luck and remember, once your lip gets numb it gets fun again :-)
    TD