Playing side lipped = higher range...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Goku, May 20, 2010.

1. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hey guys.

I have hard that playing out the very side of your lip helps increase range by a bunch.

Can someone vouch for this?

I believe it's because the muscles on the side of the lips are more developed than the muscles in the center.

I have seen Shaw University's lead players play out the side of their lips and their range is incredible. It's loud and clear.

2. nolahlm

nolahlm New Friend

Jan 18, 2010
    That may work for some people, but it also may not work for others. People have different things that may make them play slightly to the side.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    My trumpet prof (who happened to be a tuba player) said that you should strive for consistency across the lips. He then picked up his mouthpiece and played super high with a central placement, then with placement to the left and right.

What I think he was trying to get across is that having the ability to play consistently with shifted embouchere's will give you stronger chops as the entirety of your lips muscles have been developed.

Essentially if I'm not mistaken, range comes down to compression and air speed. So in theory if you could keep your air speed consistent and achieve greater compression through the side of your lips perhaps that may yield a higher range.

Also a friend of mine who busted a lip and had to rehab it for a few years said that moving your mouthpiece placement side to side helps counter tired chops. Perhaps those players were trying that trick out?

4. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Sounds scary to me. Look at Maynard, Arturo, Cat, Wayne, Bud, etc. Do they play from the corners? All of the muscles that form the embouchure are symmetrically placed...so your aperture would be most efficient close to the center where all of the muscles could do the optimal amount of work. That's my two cents.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    No. It is only temporary. I played from the side through high school. There are limitations that showed up later in life.

You didn't ask but I will suggest you play down the middle. It is a lot easier to roll out or roll in whatever your preference. Playing out the side, for me, did not provide any control of the aperture.

6. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I was thinking the same thing. I have also moved my embouchure to combat tired chops before. It actually works, but only for a bit.

And what might cause the limitations of the side of the lips?

7. fannyfoodle

fannyfoodle New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    Ripon, CA
    I don't think that there's anything to that theory. I play off to the side, but it has to do with dental structure more than anything. I can play in the center but it's very uncomfortable. Range is the same. If anything, I would think that, all else being equal, playing in the center would yield optimum endurance AND range. I think every player would place the mouthpiece in the center if possible. Everything's a compromise...we do the best with what we've got.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Moving to the side will also effect your overall sound. I am not going there. I used to play uncentered and spent a great deal of time correcting to the center. In the correction the sound only became better.

9. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I guess playing out of the side of your lips may be better for some people like me, who have front teeth that are slightly off-center. The flat part of my front teeth, where I put my mouthpiece, are slightly off to the right. If I tried to play dead center, my tone would sound airy and my range would suffer terribly. Like my band teacher used to say, just do what feels comfortable.

10. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina

Why would the center "yield optimum endurance" though? What limitations would the side of the lips yield and why? Is it because of the difference of structures of these two embouchures?