Playing side lipped = higher range...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Goku, May 20, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pete,
    what I actually suggest is long tones and lipslurs after learning to breathe properly. With a decent daily routine, the mouthpiece gravitates to its most efficient position.

The biggest problem in this thread is placing intellect before practical experience.

A very good place to start a beginner is in the middle. When you have them on a decent daily routine, most things solve themselves. Fixing DIY chops is impossible on the internet. Even if the mouthpiece is placed in the theoretically correct place, we still do not know how much pressure is on the upper and lower lip, the angle of the horn relative to the teeth, position of the tongue in the mouth, quality of breathing, body use, tension, brain power in use while playing.

I have crooked teeth and used to play with the horn pointing to one side - I never thought about it, the mouthpiece pressure probably was most evenly distributed that way. In the late 90's I bought a Monette horn and mouthpiece and changed concepts. I did not ever consider changing my embouchure, it just happened slowly and naturally. I first noticed years later after seeing some pictures in the newspaper.

Now the horn is pretty much pointed straight - not necessarily my recipe for anybody, but my natural "best".

2. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'm gonna try this out and let ya'll know what happens as I progress.

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    So true. I say if this guy seriously wants to get better he would experiment himself with the guide of a instructor. I have seen and heard amazing things about the trumpet. It could work; I honestly don't think the success rate is very high. In short I think everyone is trying to tell don't sit on the fence. Make the change or don't make the change. If you don't would will just be developing 2 different embrochue and being less productive.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We aren't really interested. No reputable teacher would touch it. There are enough desaster stories from those not listening anyway.

5. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm sorry that I somehow offended you by asking a simple question and asking for advice. No need to get an attitude about it.

As for "We aren't really interested" are you sure that you're able to speak for everyone here? Perhaps there are others interested in knowing my results. You may not, but that doesn't mean everyone does not.

And I'm sure you meant "disaster."

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Goku,
    Where do you expect to use this skill? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump karaoke bar", or are you just giddy and light headed because its senior skip day?
    Here's the bottom line. Very smart people are telling you good stuff, FOR FREE!
    Do yourself a favor, go sell crazy someplace else, trust me, we're all stocked up here.

7. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hey Markie.

It's just something I was curious about and willing to experiment on.

And if the skill happens to work, I plan on using it whenever I play.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
  9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Goku,
    If 10,000 Frenchmen are telling you it's a bad idea........Oh what the hell go for it!
    I'm all for crazy research that can ruin a person's ability to play at a competitive level.
    I do not agree with rowuk. Please let us know how you do with this concept.
    Something you might want to ponder before you ruin yourself. Generally, the body and whatever prostetic that's attached to it will result in a significant "adaptation" for the body.
    After hundreds and hundreds of years of trial and error, man has developed a means that result in the most efficient way to deal with this foriegn object which, in this case, is something against the lips.
    Unless the latest computer models are wrong (which I doubt they are), don't you think you should learn how to play well before you ruin yourself?........ Oh , What hell am I saying ? Go for it! You can do it!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  10. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina

Thanks! ;D