Playing side lipped = higher range...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Goku, May 20, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Goku,
    I am not offended, I already know the outcome, it is not interesting and I did mean disaster-my mistake, it was the german word for the same. Comes from "des astrum" meaning unlucky star in latin.

It is basically simple if you understand the geometry of the embouchure. The sacrifice in control, articulation, endurance and usable range has been observed often enough when the horn wanders too far to the right and left. I've been teaching for well over 30 years, played a bit to the side due to crooked teeth, reaped the benefits of getting that fixed.

It is really no different than somebody saying that they believe that they can run considerably faster with one leg than others with two. Are the results interesting? For stand up comedians maybe.

It does not take much common sense to figure out that your time would be much more intelligently put to use with training methods and geometry that have proven themselves over centuries.

The Shaw trumpet lineup:
    YouTube - Shaw Univ. Marching Band "Neck"
    YouTube - Shaw University - Shai
    YouTube - Shaw U dance routine at Honda

All playing conventionally forward. This type of field stuff would destroy the chops if they were not based on sound playing and breathing practice. There is no "Shaw embouchure".

Don't get me wrong, you can do anything that you want. The premise is bogus and you are wasting your time. We have more than enough squeakers with no real capability above the staff. Why now a method to get there?

Nope, not interesting.

2. Goku

Goku New Friend

May 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ah...I'm feelin' you on that my friend. No one has ever told me the concept of understanding the "geometry" of the embouchure before. I will definitely look into that. Thanks!