Playing Ska Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sauer, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Is there a specific way or key that ska trumpet players play in? (Reel big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, etc)?

2. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    ska trumpeters are very controlled in what goes on in there playing. they have to sound out of control, often sloppy while knowing exactly what there horn is going to do.
    another prominent ska feature is playing incredibly bright, and tight. many ska trumpet players sounds are almost beginner-like in this respect, i personally think this only adds to the effect of them doing some of the often complex things they do, because you hear a juvenile sound, but then are surprised.
    dont get mad at me about saying juvenile, thats the style, it has nothing to do with maturity, and im not downing on ska players. i love ska myself, and i personally think ska players have much to offer.but that is a way to describe the sound.

3. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    I understand what you're saying, no offense taken. They do play very bright, which is very fitting i guess you could say, to the music they play.

4. bunbundaisy

bunbundaisy New Friend

Oct 11, 2008
    Hey everyone..... I am having a hard time playing the Trumpeter's Lullaby by Leroy Anderson. Anyone got some tips?

5. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    just make sure you articulate, i played it in 8th grade.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ANY trumpet player SKA, Jazz, Orchestral or just for fun all need the same things:

good breathing
    strong chops
    musical common sense
    and enough time to practice

There is no excuse for "sloppy". Sloppy just means you don't care about your audience. Not a very good attitude for a musician.

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    That's true Rowuk. But mostly, it's not always easy to play the upbeat without falling out of sync. I know this sounds basic to many of your, but you try it before you laugh :)

And by the way, bigpapajosh, not all ska is juvenile. Not all ska trumpeters are sloppy.

YouTube - The Skatalites - Peanut Vendor (live - 1990) :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  8. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida

i dont think that at all, but if i had to describe the sound, i would have to say it sounds very pinched and tight, i love ska music, im just giving a description.

i think there is a time to play sloppy, as long as you can play sloppy and controlled, ska music isnt classical, where sloppy is looked down upon. sloppy is a musical effect that alot of ska players can do well.

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

He meant sound sloppy, but not actually so. Being deliberately sloppy is what bigpopajosh suggested. The notes are futzy while still in their place and well done.

Another possibly less harsh way to describe it would be laid back,

10. uzziah

uzziah New Friend

Aug 2, 2009
    winston-salem
    i was in a ska band in college and i played w/ a marching band(decatur, ga bands) mindset.